mystery bike revival

whatsup guys,
this is my first minibike and project of the kind...i got the bike off a craigslist add entitled "1975 vintage minibike"....it has a tecumseah motor on it...the numbers i got off of the engine read 143.655032 SER 5258b
from the information ive gathered i think the add was right and the engine is also from 1975...wether it was origonally on the bike or not i do not know...any ideas on how to find out more about the engine??.i was to curious to see if anyone could identify the type of bike it is...the frame has been painted serveral times (red, blue, black...i think in that order)...and a cross bar has been cut off of the handle bars(shown in a picture)

also the sprocket on the outside of the clutch sits too far outside the bike so i was going to use the setup shown as a drive mechanism(not sure the correct term)...my plan is to get some bearings, sprockets, and collars this week to get the rear wheel spinnin...any suggestions on where to find these things?...also any suggestions on gear ratios?...the clutch sprocket has 12teeth and the wheel sprocket has 60...the shaft im going to use is 7/16" if thats any difference....any help, advice, suggestion is much appreciated...and spare no details as i am learning

hey,i think i understand what you mean but im not sure. I had a problem that sounds familiar to yours and all i did was put a spacer on the rear axle. It might take a while to find something that is the right size and lines up the engine and the sprocket correctly but it is worth it. It seems to me that it would be way easier to do that than to make a gear box or what ever you said. so i wish u good luck.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

oh sorry one more thing, this might sound dumb, but you might just be able to unscrew the clutch and turn it around and it would work. It is a common mistake especially when you get an engine off of a different machine like a go kart or edger or something

125ccCrazy

your gonna need a 5/8 shaft, I seriously doubt that you will find bearings for a 7/16 shaft with 1 3/8 o.d like the stock jackshaft bearings should have been not to mention finding gears with a 7/16 i.d...

thanks alot for all the info...
im still working on getting the engine running before i move on to my next step...when i got that engine the carb seemed to be missing a primer bulb and a choke completely....i ordered a new carb from a tractor repair place and when i got the new one it came without a priver bulb or choke...(******g ***t)...are these things i need...or should i be able to start the engine without them?..if i need them where could i get these things?..where should i set the adjusting pins?...the engine obviously hasnt run since ive had it so im not sure the governor is set correctly...should i just bypass it for now...or is it crucial?...also how far open should i set the idling pin on the throttle?...all your help is greatly appreciated as i know little about what i am doing...while i cannot pay you as i would a mechanic, a little help should be good for your karma...thanks

as the project continues so do the problems...ive started to disassemble the frame to prepare for a paint job...i got my front wheel off and the tire has rusted to the wheel...i had to cut the tire in half and take the wheel drum apart...anyone have any suggestions for removing a tire from a rusty wheel...i feel like this should be simple...but of course not

125ccCrazy

as the project continues so do the problems...ive started to disassemble the frame to prepare for a paint job...i got my front wheel off and the tire has rusted to the wheel...i had to cut the tire in half and take the wheel drum apart...anyone have any suggestions for removing a tire from a rusty wheel...i feel like this should be simple...but of course not
If the tire isnt any good soak the bead with penetrating oil and let it soften the rubber and then use a big flat blade (regular) screwdriver and a hammer and basically chisel around the bead of the tire until it lets loose... I had to do that on some alum bonanza wheels where the tire corroded to the bead..

whats a good penetrating oil i can get at lowes or homedepot???could i also soak nuts and bolts in this to remove paint and rust???maybe
thanks for the help

josh

here are some of the pic u wanted on throttle setup there is probly 1000 ways to do it but this is how mine was when i got it all but spring it works so i left it :hammer:

its been a while since ive posted anything...but progress has been made

i got the tire off the wheels...with the help of a chizzle purchased at the local pawn shop...sanding and wire brushing have begun in prep for painting

but i dont want to paint until i have a full mock up...and

I still havnt gotten the engine to fire so ive begun the search for a new engine...im looking for something that runs 5hp ish...anyone got anything for sale or trade?

Im trying to order new tires and innertubes...ive found some knobbies in the right size...but im not sure what size tube to get... the tire size is 5.30 (4.50-6)...and it has an L shaped valve stem...anyone know what size tube i should use...or what the size numbers mean?

Im also thinking about making a seat...im gonna save the old one in case mines a flop... ive scouted some brown and black pleather at walmart...has anyone ever attempted to make a seat before...any advice?

Im gonna try to get a camera and post some pictures of my progress...thanks for any help or advice
be easy