need advice please

putting an old foremost together, bought a 5 hp briggs off a guy at work. I changed oil , new plug etc... it starts nice but my question is, the guy I work with told me to take the governor/ wind vein off since it was used for a chipper/shredder. Then I talked to a mower business who is familiar with go-carts & mini bikes and another person who has old mini bikes that said to leave it alone & not remove it cause it could hurt the motor by over revving. When I start the engine, even when playing with the idle, the centrifugal clutch is always engaged. Do they all do this and always spin the gear at idle? I'm afraid when I put the chain on, it and start it, it's just going to take off like a bat outta hell before any throttle is initiated. I'm inexperienced with this & just don't know what to do if it changes anything by removing the governer? please help

I'd leave the govenor on, as you said you are in experienced, and not knowing what top end sounds like, you will over rev it and cause engine damage, taking the gov off is only asking for problems, besides if you want to go faster you could always get a bigger engine, as for the clutch, it will spin if there is no chain on it to hold it still, but if it does it with the chain on it , it is probably rusted, or stiff,,, work in some wd40, or the like, and then give it a couple of dropps of oil.
dave

someone please help....I did put a brand new clutch on that I got off from Northern tool for mini bikes. I started the engine and as soon as it came to life, the bike takes off flying and I have to keep hitting the kill switch to stop the bike. I even disconnected the governor rod for a test and it did the same thing! as far as I can tell it is at idle because the throttle is all the way off with no tension and when the chain wasn't on i could manually blurp the throttle fine. Shouldn't the clutch come with the correct weights and springs? Or is there something else I can do. Again the motor is a briggs 5hp...

That's a good reason to test your bike with the rear tire raised off the ground, now with the tire raised can you reach a good putt, putt idle? the wheel will most likely still spin at an idle but just a little tap on the brake should stop your wheel, if the engine wants to keep pulling and you're fighting to get the wheel to stop, then you need to slow that engine down some more, a good idle is as slow as the motor will go without studdering or stalling, if you hammered that clutch on there you may of damaged it, I hope you didn't do that!!!:doah: the outer part should spin freely, with the motor off.
dave