Need help identifying this mini

Andrewp

My dad has had it since he was a kid and thinks its a sears. We would like to make sure of the exact year and model. Any help would be appreciated. It originally had a 4 horse tecumseh which is long gone.

Andrewp

Sorry I posted it from my phone, and the what is it and strictly vintage are right next to each other. Must have hit the wrong one.

Definetly Sears. Im redoing one now. Looks like the sissy bar was cut off, or might be a later model. These had a 2 speed "Trans" that bolted in the two holes in front of the scrub break (kinda like a jack shaft) If you go on youtube you can see almost your exact one popping wheelies! I will add a pic of a near mint one from around the early 70s. But I think yours is a later model.

Last edited:

Andrewp

I was talking to my dad about it and it came with a single speed. It never had a tank like that it was on the motor. He thinks he got it in 68 or 69, and it didn't have a sissy bar. I wish there was more info out there on these. Where did all the old sears catalogs go?

I know it's designed to kinda transition into the seat shape but those tanks always look odd to me...like they're on backwards or something.
.....Weird but in a cool way :thumbsup:

Andrewp

I was just hoping someone knew more, because I have read stuff where one of these with a2 speed is called an sr2, and where one with a torque converter was called an sr5.

And whats in a name? What are you looking for EXACTLY??? I'm rebuilding a Sears myself, Did as much research as possible, posted a few examples...ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THE ORIGINAL SALE RECIEPT?? SR2...SR5..ITS A SEARS!! Start your resto!! Mark this answered, your beating a dead horse...zzzzzzzzzz:confused:

I got one for $75 with the 3hp that powers my daughters rider now. Wrong engine anyway, mine will likely get a 5hp briggs with a flojet so a Tecumseh is not a must but the jackshaft dictates no room for a tank really on mine at least. I have a great tank (Thanks jimh) and will get to it one day. They did not all have sissy bars but all will accept one, the capped ones came that way generally. Mine is going to get cleaned up and the tank painted but nothing fancy till resto time years from now it had the bar but is gone and I'm looking and it has a drum or disc hub and all the brackets for hardware

. That's a clean frame you have there, should clean up nice but did not have a tank so a Tecumseh with tank is the way to go IMO. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Andrewp

I was reading your posts set my phone down and my kid hit the answered button on the wrong person sorry guys! Thanks for all the help beating a dead horse

Andrewp

Ha no it runs sweet too got lucky on this one! I was about to try the gx160 off my barstool on it.this motor was on a go kart that a guy had in his shed forever just a little dust and some grease otherwise looks brand new.