Need some help...tecumseh H35

So I've had this minibike sitting for a while and it has not been running. It has a craftsman engine which I cross referenced as a Tecumseh H35-45592P. I'd like to get this thing running again but I'm having some problems. I think its a problem with the magneto?? It has some parts missing right now so I'm trying to determine what I need to get this thing going again. I don't have much experience with small engines so this may be something simple.

The picture is what I believe to be the problem area. Is there anything missing here that I need?

Welcome to oldminibikes!
You first are going to want to make sure that, that wire is not grounding out. I would remove it from the throttle linkage and run it to a switch, but for now just un-hook it and see if you have spark. You will need to hook up your throttle to that lever, but first get it running, one thing at a time. Do you have spark? That wire is a kill switch so un-hook it and if you have spark then we'll go from there.
Randy:scooter:

Thanks for the quick reply! I thought that might be the kill switch. I've checked the spark prior to this and there is spark. I'll try unhooking the wire and go from there. And yeah I'd like to wire that to a switch in the future. I'll update with what I find.

Do you have pics of the carb? Does it have a bowl on it or is a diaphram carb?
The carb has a bowl. I'm going to take that off soon and have a look inside. If nothing else I'm sure it'll need cleaned out after sitting for a while.

Also, the correct plug for your engine is a champion cj8 (short) or j8c (tall)
I'm not sure what's in it now but I'll check that. Thanks

ok updates...

I took the carb apart and cleaned it. It was pretty nasty so that should help if/when I get this thing running again.

The spark plug on it is a champion CJ14. I'll need to get the proper plug but shouldn't it still start with that plug in it?

I also need to get a switch to wire a kill switch. How exactly would I go about doing this? If anyone could provide a simple wiring diagram it would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

Also, after reading some other threads on here I took off the pull starter to check if the flywheel key was possibly messed up and throwing off timing. Nothing appeard to be wrong there though.

Any help would be appreciated...I wanna get this thing started again.

The wire will run to one side of a switch. Then run a wire from the other side of the switch to ground. Or buy a kill that clamps on and grounds itsself when you hold it down. All you do for these is run your wire to it. The ones you turn on and off are the best for safety though.

Also, When you have the carb off. Take the float, pin and float needle out and hold the choke and throttle levers and shake the carb. Listen for a rattle and make sure its not the choke or throttle. If you hear a check ball rattle inside the carb you can go ahead and clean and use the carb or better yet get a rebuild kit for it. BUT if you hear no rattle toss the carb in the garbage can and look for a new one, You will never get it to run right if the check valve inside the carb is stuck.

Ok I'm making progress but still no luck. I've got the correct spark plug and the kill switch wired but its still not running running yet.

The problem seems to be with the fuel system. I have fuel in my fuel line to the carb and the carb bowl has fuel in it too but it doesn't seem to be getting to the spark plug to keep the engine running. If I spray starting fluid in the exhaust port it will run for a second, just until it has burned up the starting fluid. What could be the problem here? Low compression?

Hello all
Last week I also recieved a h35 and like yours mine is missing some springs and other things. I maybe able to shed some more light on the carb since I have a few pics. Does anyone have a few pictures of what this carb should look like when its finally hooked up on a minibike? Also are there any decent up to date type carbs that will simply bolt on and run?

Thanks
Jay

Sitting engine = rebuild carb

The carb works by airflow drawing fuel from out the small nozzles in the venturi section. The amount of fuel is regulated by the main jet needle valve in the center bottom of the bowl. There is also an idle jet on the side of the carb. If you cleaned the carb well with carb spray, you should have seen the cleaner spray out the holes into the verturi section. So that would mean a clear path for fuel to travel. Start with the main jet about one to one and a half turns open, the idle with one turn open, and the choke full on. You should get some popping or running. Keep trying with the throttle opened up. If the engine won't fire, you may have a vacuum leak at an intake mainifold gasket between the block and the carb, or somewhere on the carb itself so that no fuel is beiong drawn in. Either use new gaskets, permatex, and seal any leaks with nail polish. Also try starting the engine with starting ether so that several firing strokes gets fuel to start to deleiver. Check for a wet plug...

New carbs are available, but they're around $80, yet they may help the engine start right up. If it runs on starting fluid, it should run with a good clean carb.

DUh, old thread...

Just looked at the dates...you know, the same old story, old thread just pulled up by somebody and I go and answer... But I am learning how to pull diagrams out of the Tecumseh PDF manual....

tecumseh id decode please

143 754042 6349B
i posted thi question in the briggs and stratton page in error. i would have bet good money it was a briggs. i was told it's an H35. is there a way to determin date of manufacture. thank you

143 number is a Sears Craftsman made by Tecumseh

There were many Craftsman motors made by Tecumseh, good chance it is the same thing as an H 35 or an HS small frame Tecumseh motor. Go on ears parts direct and you can get a parts diagram, even order parts. When you compare it to Tecumseh motors and part numbers, you may find out what Tecumseh model it is. The Tecumseh small engine manual can also be obtained on PDF and has a cross reference between the Craftsman and Tecumseh numbers...