need throttle hookup ideas, Tecumseh

Hey guys i havent posted in a loooong time. I have this almost new Tecumseh i picked up. Pretty sure its a snowblower motor. How can i hook a throttle up to this thing for a mini bike ? Take apart the throttle / governor linkage to make it freer ? Thanks !!

Attachments

This is what you need to get a throttle cable attached, there is a threaded hole at the upper left you add a cable clamp as in the picture below then drill a hole in the throttle arm for the cable to attach to. Im no sure why yours is not free but Im guessing it is crimped tight to hold a throttle setting. Mine was free. If I can find a pic with the cable attached I'll send it.

T
DSC01345.JPG

Triley41395

Thank you guys, Yes mine is tight to hold a steady speed. Ill look , maybe something is crimped. Thanks for your help
The exact assembly is in the link I posted. One thing to note is that the arm is hardened steel and does not drill easily or at least mine was. I had to use a carbide burr in my dremel to make a hole and use a cutoff wheel to trim the length of the arm.

Triley41395

I also need help with throttle cable hook up on a HS50 it’s on my 69 Montgomery ward mini bike I’m trying to half way restore for me and my kids. Any help would be nice!
Looks like you have everything you need except the cable. Do you need the twist grip on your handlebars? You should start your own thread with pictures of your bike in the project section and post pictures as you go. Then you can ask questions about just your bike.

markus

Hey guys i havent posted in a loooong time. I have this almost new Tecumseh i picked up. Pretty sure its a snowblower motor. How can i hook a throttle up to this thing for a mini bike ? Take apart the throttle / governor linkage to make it freer ? Thanks !!

See the little fine tune screw on the lever, there is a dimple pressed into it, which presses it tight against the mount plate. drill it into the dimple and make it disappear...... that's what holds it tight on those. If you are going to convert it also snip off the the tab that stops the bellcrank arm, that prevents the assembly from achieving full travel.....and of course remove the grounding wire (and install it to a handlebars single pole stop switch/button. Even if you just give up and use the spring return stlye throttle assembly Tecumseh still offers you need to snip that piece off......Its more for a limited travel/governor preset running operation and not so great for recreational type twist throttle/foot pedal setup. I just bumped a thread I did to the top of the page explaining the travel limiter part of this.

good luck with it

DaddyJohn

The exact assembly is in the link I posted. One thing to note is that the arm is hardened steel and does not drill easily or at least mine was. I had to use a carbide burr in my dremel to make a hole and use a cutoff wheel to trim the length of the arm.
If you anneal the arm by heating it with a propane torch until it starts to get red, then let it cool down on its own, you can drill it then. Really, you just need to do the spot you’re going to drill.

The governor is already gone on this one, I IMG_20220904_211946400.jpg oversized the hole in this Chinese carb to 1/8 put a brass 6/32 in from the bottom into an aluminum 6/32 coupler. Ran a 6/32 stop in from the top so I had a pivot. Drilled throttle cable hole above the stop and another small 6/32 stop to retain the cable. Bracket came from the same hardware store .79, 6/32 x 1/8 stops-.50 ea, aluminum coupling .65, 6/32 x 1/2 brass screw .55, spring for throttle return 1.45. the cable adjustment end is from eBay 10 for 9 dollars. Cheap and works.