New MINI-MAN

Good Morning. I am new to the forum and just introducing myself. I live in Houston TX and I am restoring a Foremost Golden Pinto that I was given when I was a kid. It has sat up for over 20 years.

I have currently stripped the whole thing down and I am sanding and painting it. I am then going to put it back together with new parts that are needed most. Mainly an engine. The Tec 3.5 hp won't start and I wanna get it up and playing.

I am looking forward to all of the help and support I can get on here.

Name is Justin.

Welcome aboard Justin....Name is Ogy....short for Ogygopsis....Fox Campus bikes are my specialty....If you're looking for minibike info. and help; you've come to the right place....Ogy

Yah I am not giving up on the Tec. I am just going to set it aside and try to mod it later. I want to put a clone in for the time being to get it driving again.

are there plenty of mod parts for a 3.5 Tec?

Stay away from the "clones". The Tecumseh is a snap to get running, and super cheap to boot. Usually you just need a set of points, and a carb kit. They both can be had at any small engine shop for under 30 bucks- don't buy the aftermarket crap, make sure you get genuine Tecumseh parts. It's only a matter of a couple dollars more, and totally worth it. I think I'm the only one on this site that hates those cheap knockoff motors, stay with your original motor and you'll be happy. (plus they look better than that chinese shit!!)

A lot of people here hate clones, but most have quit wasting their breath. Seems people would rather send money to China. I have a clone on an Azusa frame that the kids beat on, but can't bring myself to put one on a vintage mini, other than to try out the bike, then put it back on the Azusa. BUT on the other hand the more clones people buy, the more Briggs and Tecumsehs for everyone else :thumbsup: I can say one thing for the clone. It is a good engine. Tough, reliable, and has never given me a minute's trouble, but it's Chinese, and has no business on an American vintage mini. Just me .046 cents.( Declining US $ )

So what is going to be the power difference between the two engines then? a Tec 3.5 HP and a Harbor Frieght 6.5 HP? I like the vintage flathead look, i just thought i needed more HP to get my fat butt moving.

Keep giving the advice, it does help.

I bought my Tote Gote with a Champion 6.5 HP engine the the previous owner tired to fit into the gote but gave up . I put it back together and sold it for $100.00 and stuffed a 8HP Briggs in that frame. I don't think I will ever use one of these China produced motors. New or old I am sticking with Briggs & Tecumseh engine.
Steve :scooter:

Another Question:

What is a good gearing for a mini. I have a Centrifigul Clutch staight to a 60t sprocket. I am not planning on running a TAV or a jack shaft. So what is a good front sprocket tooth number? 11t, 12t???