new project

Still haven't finished my Toyoco Alpha 350 project, but couldn't resist picking this bike up as it's pretty complete, albeit dillapidated. Can't tell if it came with the engine that's on it, but the bike was extremely dirty as is the engine, so it could go either way. Engine is a 3-horse Tecumseh with a Craftsman decal, so I'm thinking it's not original equipment. Flywheel has plastic cooling blades. Jackshaft drive with centrifugal clutch that's frozen open in the engaged position but the engine has virtually no compression... missing air cleaner, so there you go. Haven't torn it down yet, just combed over it today to see what I had and figured I'd share.

Attachments

I've never seen a band brake installed where it is on this one in some of the Rupp models I've seen around the web. no front brake, either, but just trying to figure out what to base it off of so I can try and get some of the fundamentals correct as I move forward.

markus

I've never seen a band brake installed where it is on this one in some of the Rupp models I've seen around the web. no front brake, either, but just trying to figure out what to base it off of so I can try and get some of the fundamentals correct as I move forward.
the brake is an add on, rupp never used them. I say 1968 due to the one piece engine plate, but looking at it more closely they could have easily changed that, just like they did the headtube assy, hell that almost looks grafted from something else! How about a shot for the left side of the bike, that will verify better what year as the wheel and brake setups were different between 68-69

I was excited just because the bike was complete, with swing arm rear suspension and not, but it became apparent as I started doing research that this thing has had God knows how many lives before I acquired it.

The tires are original Carlisles, but not sure if they're the correct size: 4x3.50's, I believe... the rear shocks are stamped "Made in Italy." The front light mounting tabs are bent inward, but still there, just like the rear mounting tab is there for a taillight. Appears that orange is the original color this thing was, as I can't seem to find any other colors on it anywhere, unless, of course, it was blasted or dipped and then resprayed.

A couple crude repairs include gussets up near the neck of the frame where the front fork bolts on and a rear trailing arm that was apparently re-welded (ugly welds).