New to me.. '69 Briggs 3hp

Just purchased this setup ...mainly for the motor.

it's a B&S 3hp .....80232-032201-6901063

It fires with gas poured in the carb...for maybe 2 seconds. It's pretty rusty and had some really rank liquid mixed with rust in it.

Anyone want to chime in on what i have here? It's been mated up with this Emglo compressor since at least 1977 the guy said, so i don't think it's got a lot of run time...hopefully.

Any tips on how i should clean and seal the inside of the fuel tank ?

Anyone have the correct carb rebuild kit i need for this ?

TY for any and all replies !!

Attachments

Last edited:

Harquebus

Sounds like you identified it with aplomb. I'm curious about the crankshaft and if it is suitable for a bike. Taking that pulley off would be my first order of business.

I would bet the fuel pump pickup is clogged and the pump diaphragm is toast.

There's a POR-15 gas tank repair kit that will do several tanks, otherwise you can use home-brew remedies to de-rust the tank such as muriatic acid or white vinegar and a handful of screws, nuts and nails (or pebbles) and a lot of agitation. Then a suitable gas tank coating or sealant.

Illustrated Parts List:...https://www.m-and-d.com/pdfs/briggs/80200-ms8991-1094.pdf

Sprocket86

That's a cool little 3hp B&S you have there.

I see it's missing the mesh screen on the flywheel to keep debris out.

Being a 1969 date coded engine you might want to keep the stock tank and carb to keep original.

It has the 4 bolt hole mount side cover so that opens up the door for mini bike or kart use.

I'd investigate the PTO and report back.

Thx fellas....trying to figure out how to post pics here.

Could post more pics tomorrow as today is kinda busy.

I'm thinking it DOES NOT have a key slot on the shaft.... :(

20180513_094434_1_.jpg
20180513_094446_1_.jpg
20180513_094619_1_.jpg
20180513_094410_1_.jpg

Last edited:

Harquebus

Your shaft looks threaded and sleeved for the pulley to fit the shaft's O.D.

All is not lost if you could find a suitable crankshaft. Check that popular auction site. . . .

Everything you need to know and didn't know where to look is here: https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...7559-detailed-rebuild-briggs-3hp-cousins.html

Covers everything including cleaning the tank and rebuilding carb. Best bet is Rustoleum Rust Remover--coat the tank and let it sit for a few hours, rinse, do again. If the tank is really bad, you could consider Red Kote to seal the tank, just be careful around the bowl built into the top of the tank.

Hey Bad My phone battery went dead sa we knew it would ...... Great conversation though and thank you for the link to that FB site.....

Plus Tard Mon Ami........ Try to stay cool in that hot spot you in..............

Hey Bad My phone battery went dead sa we knew it would ...... Great conversation though and thank you for the link to that FB site.....

Plus Tard Mon Ami........ Try to stay cool in that hot spot you in..............
Great visiting with you also !!! Thank you for the insights Boudreaux !!

2 Problems today...pull cord broke (fixed) and stripped screw and screw hole in the fuel tank.

i'm trying to get this motor just in running condition as is....the fuel tank has a leak about halfway up on one side...where it's spot welded and it's not accessible.

The motor ran today....(40 seconds)..until the bowl in the tank ran dry...i'm thinking it's not picking up fuel from the tank.

Today, 1 of the 3 screws that screw down from the carb stripped...and now won't/can't go in to attach it to the carb....UGHHH.

Now i'm up a creek.....trying to locate a used tank now....

Last edited:
I would use this stuff called Red Kote on your tank. It was recommended to me by a member a few years back. I had a leak on the bottom of a 5hp tank. No way would I weld a fuel cell. Try it ......

Lots of good suggestions for you in this thread. My take:

These tanks are soldered, your concerns of open flame not withstanding. It's very simple to purge them and safely use an open flame for hard soldering.

In this case, the retaining nuts for the pulsa jet are stripped. You can tap them, and go oversize, or you can tap them and install with an epoxy sealant.

Red Cote, sure, I like Caswells.

But I agree with you on going with a new tank.

Fuel routing is thus: Fuel is picked up from the bottom of the tank, routed through the pulse pump ports, then back down to the tank reservoir where it is then picked up again by the smaller pickup and shot into the plenum.

It is common to find one of the two pick up tubes clogged with varnish. It is also common for the pump gasket to be worn to the point it wont support pumping. It's one, or both of those conditions. Very reliable fuel system once you get it right. All of it is very rebuildable. The actual jet, which is seated behind the needle valve, is rarely the problem, but part of the carb rebuild.

Well...i'm 96.9% sure i'm giving up on the fuel tank.

It has 2 problems now:
1st...rust in the tank (could cure this i know) but also has a major leak in a VERY hard spot to fix...some body decided they'd unattach the brace on the block and somehow bent the brace and when they did the spot welds on the brace to take caused the tank to leak there...it's a VERY bad spot to try to fix .

2nd..Upon taking the tank on and off about 5 times I've now stripped one of the screw holes out of 3 that attach the tank to the carb and also one of the screws (the one that stripped the hole in the tank)

I've got some extra screws and could possibly tap and die the hole and the screw with a cheapie from Harbor Freight, if the cheapie set were to fit it.

SO....here's my problem now. I really want to stay with the same design fuel tank...not the "newer" or "replacement"

Here's the replacement on Partstree that I DO NOT like...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Briggs+and+Stratton+397789&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS730US730&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJ-NKryafbAhXiqFkKHdrxC50Q_AUIDCgD&biw=1366&bih=637

My question to anyone who may help is ...Does anyone know the part number for this engine that is the 2 quart for this 3hp motor that is fully square WITHOUT the new design on the fuel tank opening?

Just for tank design reference...this is what i'm wanting but do not know the part number for this style of fuel tank that will fit this 3hp motor...

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-494592-Replaces-297600/dp/B002WNUA5S/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_86_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XATSJF5QH3K5BJ97QC61

Last edited:
I got him the original number for his tank.......... Naturally out of stock, but it's a start for him to look on the web for one...

He wants to keep the original look to it............. I don't blame him for that.... I have a 2 HP that I want to keep original also......

The new style is the replacement for the old style. I don't think he's going to get a new tank from anyone, unless someone warehoused one from when the older engines were produced. Better to get a used one and refurbish it.

Also, the new tanks with the slant opening have an extra hole and nut for the newer style kazoo carbonators, so that both carbonators, old and new can be used with them. The appropriate gasket covers the unused hole. Mostly.

Hello
I have a NOS engine model 80232 type 0036-01 code 7204273 that has that exact gas tank.I won’t sell this tank but I have at least three of this type tank that are used in good shape.If you are interested PM me and I will pull the engines out and check the tanks very well to make sure they are in great shape.
Jay

Last edited:
Hey Dave long time no talk to...... Yep he doesn't want a brand new tank because that is almost impossible to find unless someone has some NOS stuff.......... He has the numbers now so at least he is in the right direction......

Speed wow you got 3 of of those old tanks ??? Great deal buddy.. Hook him up.... Brent is a great guy.......

Plus Tard Mes Amies ~!~!

Thx for er'bodys help so far. Someone offered a gas tank but i don't think it's correct....and i'm going to try to seal the one i have.

The long pickup brass tube had a hairline crack in it almost the entire length of the tube...sealed it with Krazy Glue...!!

Ran it for about 20 mins on Sunday....

It's a work in progress....hopefully keep progressing on this. Waiting on some gaskets to show up.

Here's a quick video of it i put up on youtube...

Shakin' the block with 8 cubic inches !

[video=youtube_share;hzDSM0Igshs]https://youtu.be/hzDSM0Igshs[/video]

Last edited: