new tooling ? tap and drill kit for cranks

once again its come up of someone wanting to drill a crank and not having the tooling to do it .
im looking at making tap and drill guides for doing cranks . it would have all the stuff needed to do it .... well other then the drill and a tap handle . but a drill guide and tap guide . the tap and drill for it . so the questions of the deal what size bolt would people want ? i have found 3 sizes that i can get in . 1/4 x28 5/16 x18 3/8 x16 .

and what size cranks are people needing to drill ? 3/4 ,7/8

on cost im thinking around $20 -$25 shipped . would have a better idea once i know how many kits would be wanted and what the stock costs would be . as some of it know ill have to order in as local supply :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: ya wright :no:

so boys and girls whats the needed sizes and how many ya wanting ?
:shrug:

I say 3/8-24. Fine thread. More bite..
ya would be a nice idea , but to do that i have to go with a different supplier and the cost goes way up . i would have to go with import tap and drill and order each separately and that would put at least $10 on the cost . where the ones i listed are Vermont American and Made in USA . so cheaper build cost and using USA tooling and parts where i can , making a cheaper kit cost for the end user .

its one of them i only have limited choices in what size the bolt can be if i want to keep the cost of parts and tooling down . other wise the supply cost will kill any reason to build them as if it cost me $40 to just get the stock/ parts needed it would make them way to much $$$$$$$ .

Bikerscum

Just a thought here...

Let's say you wanna drill & tap a 5/16-18 hole in the end of a crank. You can use a 1/4" drill bit for the hole. Say you put the appropriate size 1/4" drive socket, whatever fits on the shaft nice over the shaft, square drive side out. Drill through the square hole, centering the drill bit.

If you want 5/16-24, do the above first then take the socket off & run the correct size drill through the hole.

:shrug:

I remember when Yellowhand made a bunch of these for everyone. It's nice to see someone carrying on the tradition . Thats awesome MM :smile:

I remember when Yellowhand made a bunch of these for everyone. It's nice to see someone carrying on the tradition . Thats awesome MM :smile:
ya i remember that .... to know even 1/2 of what was in his head :eek:

all the cool stuff he built and work he did .

as for the guides time will tell if they get made or not . biggest thing is people wanting enough to make it worth getting the stock . as around here its full or half sticks only . and at 20 feet for a full stick or 10 on a half :glare: just needing 1 or 2 at a few inches not worth the scrap . unless i do the small order online and get a few feet thing ...

:doah: local supply here sucks for everything ill tell ya . cant find anything in metal stock or parts, supply's ,tools . hell went to the BIG steel supply around here :laugh: what a joke looked at the rack and was like really ? thats it :shrug: . seen more in grafton nd at the local welding shop and better section too . have no idea where i could find a hss blank if my life depended on it .