NOS Tecumseh 2 Cycle Mini Bike Engine, 1500-1550A

Guys,
I have come across a NOS Tecumseh horizontal 2 stroke engine, the number is 1500-1550A. It appears to have been used in a 1972 Fox Desert Fox mini bike. The engine is painted white, left hand PTO, rear facing carb, 5/8" keyed shaft. Parts sheets show it to be a mini bike engine, that could be mounted on a Tecumseh aluminum engine mount or a welded mount on a mini bike frame. The engine was stored inside for at least 46 years. Any info would be appreciated
Brian
IMG_4063.JPG IMG_4064.JPG

capguncowboy

The numbers on that tag read T1560 -- is that your engine or the AH817MB?

The flag decals are definitely indicative that it was used in a recreational machine, and since 2-stroke carts weren't real common, it's a safe bet that it's a mini bike engine. I'm not into minicycles much, so I can't be of much as to what bike(s) it might have been used on, but if that second row of numbers is the serial, then it's probably a 1976 model. Maybe one of the Speedway or Fox guys will be able to help
[MENTION=51886]gammatg[/MENTION]

1550A Update

Guys,
A few updates,
The tag number is 6190736. A few guys at work, used to work at the Tecumseh Grafton plant where the engine was made. They were produced from 1972 to 1974. I got a parts list today, and I copied a service manual. The engine is 8.17 cu. in, so it's big. It has an 8620 hardened steel rod, and a fully hardened/balanced crank, just like the racing AH61's. It is definitely a mini bike engine. I'm getting a Tecumseh engine mount tomorrow at work, so I'll try starting it Sat. morning, after lots of soaking with Red Line oil in the crankcase.
Brian
IMG_4068.JPG

markus

They still showed the AH817's as available in 1981. They would have dropped that flag decal by like 1977/78 though. this is from the engine specs catalog for the 1981 lineup (dated 8/1980) and still utilized the same crankshaft etc..

The introduction of them does show up in the 1971-72 Tecumseh upcoming products brochure....listed as the AH750 though. They also ran an article in the mini bike guide middle of 1971 showing as the 750, rating that one as 4.5hp, The info was from Tecumseh not a magazine test report since they weren't available yet. I think by production time though it was changed and designated as the 817.

Good luck with it, :thumbsup:

delray

not to say this motor is bad,but i have road couple desert fox bikes with this engine and they are a real dog. even with a factory 72 tooth rear sprocket they came with. bike was just to big and HEAVY for that little guy. i think if it was on a small frame bike it would fly much better....:thumbsup: