OHH50 monkeying with jets

I tried a few different jet sizes on my stock Ohh50, the one that came with my new cheap carb (fits a #69 drill) I thought it was lean ...wouldn't rev up. Turns out it was blowing black which I couldn't see initially.

Then I tried the jet from the original carb which is stamped with 166 and fits between a #64 and 65 drill... really blowing black...

So, I took the smaller one, soldered it closed and redrilled with a #71 drill. It runs better.. revs up and doesn't bog..

If my 'plastic' cam was worn a bit would it cause it to run better on the smaller jet? Or does that not compute..? :shrug:

delray

i would doubt your cam is worn,even though it is plastic..:doah: for maybe best performance up grade for when it comes to carb's for that engine would be a adjustable idle and main jet carb...:thumbsup:

Thanks, I thought the carb I was buying at least had the adjustable idle air screw..apparently , I didn't look close enough at the picture..
I didn't measure the cam lobes before I put the cover back on...should have, but it looked okay.

delray

that looks to be a big block carb or H series.
i have good look with the rupp style hs-40 or hs-50 replacement carb they do have the adjustments.
only problem , they don't have the crank vent hookup so i by pass that into a small filter unit and i am not using the correct governor setup.

also i have modified this engine little,advance the timing ,mill the head,header, have a newer style steel cam and 16 pound animal springs and aftermarket automotive style retainers and keepers and even the air cleaner.

Okay, thanks, I'll check out those carbs.
Seems like it's going to run alright for now, so I'll get them to put one on the slow boat for me... :)

The one thing you'll need to do is tune this engine with the air cleaner installed. Delray and I have swapped notes a couple of times, and we keep coming back to an HS40 carb with a straight fuel inlet. The intake runner is so long, you'll get that blowback no matter what you do so just expect some. As Delray has done, a new shorter intake (no governor) fixes this problem but you'll have to go to a billet rod.

The one thing you'll need to do is tune this engine with the air cleaner installed. Delray and I have swapped notes a couple of times, and we keep coming back to an HS40 carb with a straight fuel inlet. The intake runner is so long, you'll get that blowback no matter what you do so just expect some. As Delray has done, a new shorter intake (no governor) fixes this problem but you'll have to go to a billet rod.
Thanks Doc. :)
Yeah, my tuning when I ended up with the #71 drill jet was done with the stock filter on. Initially I had been trying it out without a filter, but then I did some reading and found that suggestion on here... :thumbsup:

I ordered a clamp on filter and plan to make or buy an adapter.

I should say that my initial thought of the cam being worn was because of some grey/black stuff at the bottom of the crankcase. Maybe someone put some moly in it or some other additive. I don't know.

delray

jeffe, here is something to think about too for a air cleaner. works just as good as a aftermarket for what your doing...:thumbsup:
i just took a stock tecumseh air cleaner housing and cut the outer piece off and just save the retainer to hold the air cleaner on.
also purchase a outer wear filter that go's over all of it. poor man's K&N filter...:laugh: hey it work's good.

housing cut off.

outer wear over the stock air filter and cut off housing?retainer