Oil in air filter and coming out of trap

Ok, my son is having a ball on his new doodle bug. Yesterday, I noticed that the little trap tube (connected on outside of air filter) was filling up, so I drained it. It was oil. I've noticed it filling up a little over the last 24 hrs as he's been riding ... haven't thought too much about it. Then, I noticed a little puddle of oil start to appear when he parks it for a bit. So, at closer inspection, I pulled the air filter off and it had quite a bit of oil in it and around the mouth where the carb connects to it.

I just received the carb kit from DudlyDoodleRight today, but haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. Before I do, can someone tell me if this is normal, or if I need to do anything else right now? So far, I have cleaned the air filter and the plastic housing to rid all the oil from it. Is it safe for him to ride?

Thanks!
- PicNroll

First check your oil level-don't let it get high as this will cause this problem even in a broken in motor. Also if it's passing oil check it frquently so you don't run low on oil. A new motor that has not broken in yet will blowby and that carries oil over but --normaly this problem is due to putting too much oil in. Don't over fill with oil.

I don't have the new style Dirt Bug, but the 2.8 hp engine on our first (yellow) DB30 ALWAYS had a mysterious oil drip from day one right up until I swapped in a 6.5 hp "clone" engine. I used to place some cardboard under it while it was stored in our basement when not riding it.

Yes it had some oil in the air filter from time-to-time, too. Right before I changed out the engines it was puking :repuke: oil out of the filter pretty bad from long periods of riding.

Neither of our DB30s 2.8 motors had the trap tube. We only rode our red "Doodle Bug" for a hour or so one weekend, then the following week I picked up a HF "clone" engine and a engine installation kit from cjtmini and did the swap.

I suppose its just the nature of the 2.8 engine to leak/drip some oil. Check your oil level and make sure its not over filled.

Jimmy S.