old old old!!!! and awesome!

Picked these up an hour ago. No idea why just had to have them. Far as I can tell they both cane off of old old Sears tractors from the early sixties. If anyone else has any info on them it would be appreciated. The white one is electric start, and the starter motor works! Both have spark and compression. Green one is complete minus air filter assembly I think. I think they are both tecumsehs.

Here's some pics. I found the magneto for the white one on Ebay for 200 bucks and the flywheel for the green one for 100! That's crazy. I guys they are hard to get parts for.

I think they are later than 60's just cause of the Solid State ignition and the "143" Series Sears code.....but I could be wrong.....:shrug:

I've never seen that Timken Bearing decal before....that's cool.

Last edited:
The white one is a 10hp and the green one a 12hp. Both Sears Craftsman Tecumsehs. My brother in law had one in a Sears Suburban garden tractor.

Here's some pics. I found the magneto for the white one on Ebay for 200 bucks and the flywheel for the green one for 100! That's crazy. I guys they are hard to get parts for.
Not really sure why those parts were that expensive. You can buy a good running engine like those for $50-100 around here. :shrug:

I don't know either. Apparently the only place to get parts for it is from some boat dealer that used to sell eska outboards. I just got off the phone with him. He said that when tec sold all of its assets they stopped production on these engine parts. That may explain the price of the parts. from what he said a lot of these engines are still in use today and they were popular on the suburban garden tractors as someone above mentioned already. the green 1 is much much much lighter but it does not have electric start there's just enough for a pull cord. I'm going to clean it up tonight and see if I can get it running. Rosco..... what do you have in mind for the green engine? I mean what are you going to use it for and there's no possible way I could ship this thing it weighs a ton

Oh. Yeah the guy told me that these engines were mass produced and really popular for their longevity. Is been my personal that the older an engine is the longer it lasts, when properly maintained of course. If I can't get them running as they are now then I guess I'll just strip them down and sell em for parts, that way at least someone can get their engine going.

so I just went out to the garage and make sure there is oil in the white engine remove the spark plug in sprayed some starting fluid in there and started up on the first pull. there is no carburetor or muffler on the white engine so it sounded like a tank as you can imagine but damn if it did not sound amazing. I just wrapped a cord around the recoil , gave it a quick tug in there she went. I tried the same thing with the green 1 but I could not pull it as easily as it was slightly harder to pull the recoil. I could not get the green one to fire up but it does have spark and compression. I guess I'll just take the muffler in carburetor off of the green 1 and put it on the white 1. what I thought was the starter motor is actually some sort of ancient alternator or charge coil that I assume powers the electrical components of a tractor. I will test that in the morning if anyone has any interest in either of these motors please let me know and maybe we can work something out.

what I thought was the starter motor is actually some sort of ancient alternator or charge coil that I assume powers the electrical components of a tractor. I will test that in the morning if anyone has any interest in either of these motors please let me know and maybe we can work something out.
It is most likely a Starter/Generator. Found on almost all the garden tractors of that era. It would both start the engine and generate power for the lights and charging the battery.