One chain or two?

Had to change both sprockets and a twisted jack shaft on my dune cat. Works fine. I pulled it out of storage to clean it up and tinker with it. I noticed the large sprocket can be bolted on the other side of the differential as well. Along with room on the jack shaft for another small sprocket. The question I have is....would having two sets of chains and sprockets be better than one 019CC15B-F23F-435F-A74C-10106BE0FD86.jpeg

Had to change both sprockets and a twisted jack shaft on my dune cat. Works fine. I pulled it out of storage to clean it up and tinker with it. I noticed the large sprocket can be bolted on the other side of the differential as well. Along with room on the jack shaft for another small sprocket. The question I have is....would having two sets of chains and sprockets be better than one View attachment 250317
Tony,
Probably, but you really don’t need to unless you are hot rodding the power plant. And even then I’m not sure you’d have to run two. You will need to re-seal the new longer grade five or better new bolt entrance and exit holes if you do.
If you start a new thread over on the trike sub-forum and choose a good title, the folks that run these machines a bunch can offer guidance.

wjustice

Im not sure how much power you have, but it shouldnt be necessary. My RTS Alsport is rated at 28hp and only uses a single 40 chain. The trikes tend to be a bit had on chains but that is mostly due to the 10t sprocket used, heavier weight and chain speeds well above ratings.

Only has a 5 horse engine. The original jack shaft was twisted about 1/8 turn. The sprocket was worn out so I had to cut it out. I had the new jack shaft tempered. Along with two new sprockets. I always had trouble keeping the (chain) jack shaft tight and parallel after a week of driving. With 2 chains and sprockets on each end of jack shaft it would be easier to be aligned. The extra sprocket looks like it could easily bolt on the other side of the differential. Tired of changing the worn out chain once or twice a year .Looking at the jack shaft I put a nut&bolt below each end to help stop slippage 9DB1AADE-AD15-41A7-AC3A-8C8E4A417EAD.jpeg

I like the nut and bolt idea, but seems like the 2 sprocket set up would be more to your advantage. BUT, I'm not a mechanic, just an old dude that likes to tinker.