painting mud bug 3 wheeler

2SlickNick

Hey guys,

I know the subject of painting has come up plenty of times here, but I have a few questions.
I normally use rattle can paint (rustoleum) with a few layers and then a few layers of clear and typically get good results, that do tend to last, but always subject to a scratch..

Anyways I will be painting my mud bug trike frame.
I want to use automotive grade paint with flakes. My buddy has a compressor and a paint gun ( he says it will work for my application). I want to paint the frame black with metal flakes.

I already used a wire wheel and acetone to prep the frame. I even already applied rattle can rustoleum primer ( so it doesn't rust while waiting to paint it).

Questions:
- Should I have NOT used rattle can primer? or will it be okay under automotive paint?

- Do we need a special paint gun to handle flakes?

How much paint should I order? any suggestions where to buy it?

Thanks guys.

image.jpg

Generally, rattle can primer is fine, but it tends to absorb moisture, oils, and dust. If you're sure it's oil and moisture free, a tack rag before painting will suffice. Better is to use a green 3M pad and lightly scuff the surface, then tack. This is for the frame, not the body. I'd definitely use 2K primer on the body.

For flakes over .004 you generally need a larger paint gun tip. I've found that it costs about as much to get a flake gun as it does to get an additional tip for your paint gun. Since you are simply applying flake to the frame, those small flakes will be enough. Something else to consider is a dry pearl (white) over the black.

Since you are doing flake, you can go with a base coat/clear coat application. This means the black paint goes on dull, and requires clear coat to bring the gloss. (This is what they mean when they say two stage paint)

Now, maybe I will surprise you with this: Rattle can your frame with black matte or non-gloss paint from the hardware store. Next, mix up your flake (or pearl) in your automotive clear. I use Transtar urethane mixed at 2:1 with catalyst. When mixing pearls or flakes in it, I like to reduce it a bit. (thin it down some) Your ratio of flake/pearl AND how many coats, what pressure, as well as spray strokes make a huge difference in the final out come. No matter what you end up doing, be sure and do it to the whole thing.

After you have the sparkles done, you shoot the whole thing again with the same urethane paint.

I can do a regular mini bike frame with less than a half-pint of paint. If you rattle can the black, (I would do that) figure on a pint mixed of the clear. But it at Napa, or any decent automotive parts store. NOT Autozone and the like. They sell shit that washes off with gasoline.

Be sure and check out Lil Daddy Roth's rattle can flake. I bet you can do the whole frame with one can. It still needs clear coat on top.