Painting Question?

I'm interested to know from some or all of you who have actually taken a stock DB frame and painted it another color? What was your experience like? How did you go about doing it? Did you strip the old paint, use primer, sand it to the metal, use spray paint or a power sprayer, etc.? I am thinking I may paint mine in the near future and I want to do it right. Any advice or experince you can share would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Painting DB Baja

I'm interested to know from some or all of you who have actually taken a stock DB frame and painted it another color? What was your experience like? How did you go about doing it? Did you strip the old paint, use primer, sand it to the metal, use spray paint or a power sprayer, etc.? I am thinking I may paint mine in the near future and I want to do it right. Any advice or experince you can share would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Well,

Depends greatly on your budjet and know how?

Have you painted? Or is this the first job? Sanding all the orange off will help when nicks happen and they will. i.e. Striogi's DB black over orange.. not pun intended!

My suggestion, if it's "one in a million" more like 999,000 of 5,000,000 I would leave it alone. Try painting the wheels first. Then once you have mastered masking, sanding, prepping, priming, etching, base coat, clearcoat, color sanding, polishing and finally re-installing without screwing it up, not to mention drying time, then paint the frame, however, strip it to bare metal, etch prime, high build prime, sand with wet dry 400, base coat, clear coat and polishing cost's bank for materials $20-$40 quart, plus the gun and compressor.

Hope, I did not discourage you from tinkering???

TT :thumbsup:

kfgjioerhorhgorehgio3rhgoh3rghoghrohgrohjogoigeroifrwiooifhj auto paint supplies....lol $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:
Sanding all the orange off will help when nicks happen and they will. i.e. Striogi's DB black over orange.. not pun intended!
yep, mine has all sorts of chips in it now. i ride the shit out of mine and expected it, so it doesn't bother me at all.

you can see what he's talking about in my sig pic.

You might want to seriously consider having it Powder Coated (PC) instead of painting. The finish will hold up much better to the normal abuse that minibikes are exposed to. Having your fuel tank PC'd at the same time would also be a good idea. That way when gas is spilled onto the tank it won't remove the paint.

You may experience a bit of sticker shock when you first receive a price quote on having the PC done. If you factor in the amount of time & materials that you will have invested by the time you are done painting the bike, it starts looking like a pretty good deal. Of course this depends upon your experience level & what you consider a good paint job to be.

my roommate got a quote for $60 to have a frame stripped and coated. i spent probably 3 hours sanding and another $20 on paint when i did mine.

I really want to "murder out" my doodlebug. Aka ultra-flat black primer on everything...Would I have to sand down to metal to not have it turn out like strigois? hahahaha!

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Yeah, I couldn't believe he'd do that for me, he said he'd glaze (I think that's what it's called) the motor for me too and exhaust if I wanted. I've been thinking about what color I want to make it. I kind of like a burnt orange color, black with blue speckles in it would be nice too though.