Parting out 70-71 Speedway Scorpion roller - Possibly ...

Here is the true story. I went to look at a Speedway Minibike roller yesterday that a guy said he would sell me. I know the guy, he had it for a while and knew I was interested in it. He said it was a 70-71.
At first site it looked great and I was going to buy it then I noticed someone had cut out the angled engine plate and jack shaft. They were going to turn it into a straight chain minibike without the jack shaft. It has a flat engine plate welded on it. I felt sick when I saw that. I didn't buy it and went home to think about it.

I started researching it and found out it is a Scorpion. I looked to see would take to fix it and discovered the missing pieces are Very hard to find and costly if you do find them.
So. Parting it would be an option as it has a lot of good parts on it.
That brings me to this post. IF you see something you need, PM me and give me a price. If the parts prices add up to enough, I'll go get it and part it.

Or, I suppose if you want to buy the whole thing, shoot me a PM and price.

Here are some quick pics I took yesterday. The rims do have some rust on them although they look good in the pictures. The front suspension works well but the ends of the head light mounting ears are broken of. It has a headlight bucket with no lens but I'm not certain it is the original Speedway part. Both fenders are good. The seat is good, The handlebars are good. The gas tank has some dents in it. It is missing the front caliper and I don't think that is the correct rotor. The back brake lever moves too easy, I fear there isn't anything inside the drum.
The rear shocks work but are just spray painted silver. The picture make them look better than they are in my opinion.
It isn't a perfect Scorpion but it has a lot of good parts still on it.
Danford1

Last edited:
I decided to buy it. I've had some interest on a couple parts.
I have it here now so I can take pictures of whatever interests you.
The headlight tabs are broken but the light can still be mounted via the two big washers. There are small holes in the washers that line up with holes in the tabs. It would be very secure and still be adjustable.
The switch inside of the headlight is broken apart. There is some pitting on the bezel and bucket but would be fine for a "daily driver".
Both tires are in very good condition.
The gas tank is has a couple dents and the inside has the usual surface rust. It isn't horrible and I bet if soaked in Vinegar a few days it would be fine. The tank doesn't leak. In fact it still had a lot of clean gas in it that I drained out.
It came with the brake shoes and brake springs. He epoxied one shoe on.
The swing arm looks to be in good shape.
The kick stand works easily.
The fenders have slight pitting, not bad. Great for daily driver bikes

Here are some pictures. PM me if interested.

Danford1

Last edited:
I will start a new thread with a correct title and put prices on the parts.

Consider this thread "closed". Look for new thread titled " Parting out a Speedway Scorpion".

New Thread should be posted later today, Tuesday April 11, 2017

Thanks
Danford1