popping headlight bulbs

I have a Briggs 10.5 and hooked up a headlight but it keeps popping bulbs at high RPM. What do I need to do to regulate voltage to the bulb? I don't have a battery and would rather not get one. Do I just need to add a voltage regulator? I just want to keep steady voltage so the headlight doesn't go from dim to popping bulbs with change in RPM. There is just a single red wire from the coil it has around 12v at an idle but goes up to around 20v at full throttle. Any help is appreciated.

Doc1976

If you have any motorcycle junkyards in your area, you can probably get a voltage regulator off a multi use dirt bike like a KL or CRF. I imagine that would work.

A voltage regulator for a Chrysler Sno-Runner would work perfect for you. The regulator is clamped to ground and the one wire coming out is attached to your electrical system. Excess voltage will be sent to ground as required to keep the electrical system at 12 volts. The regulator will dissipate excess voltage as heat so mount it in a cool place and make sure it has maximum contact to pass away the heat.