Power Lines

End of my street leads to power lines. I recently discovered that my buddy’s house also has power lines at the end of his street, next town over. Looking at google earth, I discovered that they are on the same trunk, so I have been trying to figure this out.
It’s about 4 miles as the crow flies, but the riding route is about 5 miles.
There are definitely some nice gravel trails, and the power company was working on the lines recently and they were nice enough to put down timbers so their equipment could get access over water, etc.
I decided to check this out, and rode the trails to see how far I could get. I was able to get about halfway there, about 2.5 miles. Had an absolute blast! Bike ran great, trail is challenging but not too tough. One section had fist sized rocks uphill and that was kinda hairy and caught a tire in a rut between the timbers, but the rest was perfect.

The trail ended about 1/2 way there, not sure how to proceed.
To people who ride the power lines, do people put down plywood, or pallets to cross certain parts of the trail?
Would love to be able to ride my bike to my buddy’s house. Plus where I work is also next to power lines and would love to be able to ride my bike to work, even I feel it’s just once lol.

Anyone else here ride power lines and have any advice? I just found out that you can get an off road permit from the state environmental police, have to take a class but seems worth it to me.

Thanks for reading!

Itype2slo

In my area it seems they lease the ground underneath the power lines to landscaping nursery's. If you can cruise around without anybody getting irritated. Go for it and god bless. I'd like to know more about the off road permit and if you need a green sticker?

In my area it seems they lease the ground underneath the power lines to landscaping nursery's. If you can cruise around without anybody getting irritated. Go for it and god bless. I'd like to know more about the off road permit and if you need a green sticker?
Looks like there is a sticker that gets put on the vehicle, no mention of inspection though, I’ll look into it.

Massacre, I believe you are in MA? I used to ride power lines when we had dirt bikes (10+ yrs back now). That ended shortly after 9/11 when the EPA's started cracking down hard, ended up getting tickets for trespassing on the high lines south of Myles Standish.

AFAIK, unless you have written permission, you are not supposed to be on them at all. Which sucks because it was all great riding, and there's a ton of single track trails in the Wareham/Plymouth area that crisscross the power and gas lines down here.

Yes, MA. And I def don’t have written permission.
I would hope that any law enforcement would just make me push the bike home, and not impound or confiscate it.
Anyone have any experience with that? I have no criminal record or anything.

I would hope the same but it ultimately boils down to the mood of the officer that stops you. Our advantage is we are not teenagers out there ripping things up so you'd think we'd get at least one free pass, but you never know...

I think the answer here is primarily, don't be causing problems. Ride respectfully. If you do get stopped, talk your way out of it. Apologize and tell the person that you understood it was not a problem as long as you did not cause problems. Remember also that many officers also have no more idea of the rules than you do. Unless the officer is a rectum you will likely be told to go away and not come back.

^^^ thanks!
I def don’t cause problems, no riding in rain making ruts, no donuts or wheelies or anything just riding the trail at an even pace, prob 1/2 throttle most of the time. 1 trip down and back. I stay on the gravel and don’t go near people’s homes.
I’m hoping this approach will keep the peace, I def don’t want any trouble just trying to have fun.

Here is a link to the off road permit:

https://www.offroad-ed.com/massachusetts/approved-atv-course.html

I thought I knew what street I had to cross this weekend but just wanted to make sure so I was driving down the street in question in my truck, and there was a car parked at the crossroads, backed in.
Google earth is pretty good but doesn’t give street names.
Thought it might be one of the electrical workers’ cars, since it was a beige Corolla or similar. When I got up to it, turned out to be a uniformed officer sitting in an unmarked car.
I’m not saying he was there for me because I don’t think that is likely.
Could have been on lunch break for all I know.
But I will def take this into consideration on future rides, don’t want any trouble.

Two rides ago, I went through an open gate and rode around. Went the other day, and the gate was closed. I rode up to it to see if it was locked. There was a chain but was not locked. But to me, putting a chain and the gates being closed there means keep out.

Going to lay low for now, I noticed there are posted signs saying no trespassing in certain places but not where I was riding. Don’t want to stir up trouble.

joshua. c.

I got busted two years ago by a game warden while ridding my snowmobile on an abandoned railroad ive been ridding on for years now without issue. the only reason he didn't impound my sled was I had regestration and insurence and I was complaint. so I would recommend the permit and regester the bike if you can. it may save you some trouble latter. aparently some of the neghbors didnt like all the off road vehicles ridding on there dog walking path and stared calling the cops. its a popular trail I've seen mini bikes go karts atvs dritbikes and snowmobiles. and lots of foot traffic out there year round. the sad part is the atvs are the only ones clearing downed trees and keeping the trail maintained for everyone. way to chase off your free labor. alot of the people walking the trail would actulaly wait to go out there after a snowstorm untill i cut a nice compacted path for them with my sled, one person actually told me that. the game warden now knows who I am and knows what my sleds look like so i cant risk going out there again. state trails for me from now on.