Pulsating idle on 6HP TEC

Hey everyone kinda new here.Wanted to know if anybody knows how to remedy my idle problem.6HP TEC-OHV that has primer bulb on carb.IT will not idle at a steady RPM it keeps idleing up and down-up and down.It does when cold or when engine is warmed up.Runs fine at cruising speed. Any help or info will be greatly appreciated,thanks.COOP

Coop, I had a tec 5, on my go-cart, that wouldn't idle down, was really hard on the brakes, I found that the throttle cable core was hanging up, inside the sheeve, (outer part), and not letting the throttle go all the way back to idle, a new cable installed, with a little slack in it, (the core), and it was idleing perfect, to experiment, just un-hook, the cable from the speed selector, and work by hand, hope that works for ya!!!
dave

Dave it's not just a high idle but almost a if someone is turning the throtle a little and letting go.A series of high than low RPMs.Yellowhand the govenor is still attached as far as I know.I got off E-Bay from original owner who stated only rode a few times at drags.It looks brand new.Thanks

Common problem on Tecumsehs. Main cause is a dirty carb from sitting. I spend most of the early winter cleaning snowblower carbs due to this. Disassemble it and clean it out with carb cleaner. The fact that it's idling at all means it can be cleaned up easily. Once back on the engine, run carb/fuel injection cleaner mix with the gas to finish the job.

Thanks for all the info guys.This did sit for a while before I got it,gas was stale would not start at all.Might be a couple of days before I can work on it,will let know the outcome.Thanks again for all the info.COOP

Hold on,,, before you do anything..........

You have a ohv tec and they can do that. It's your GOV.

start the engine and warm it up,, then hold (steady) the rod that connects the carb throttle (on the carb) to gov arm. hold it it still.

If the surging stops, it's your gov/ gov adjustment.

If it is the gov adjust, check to see if the throttle is full open or at least 1/2 open from the idle screw when the engine is off. when the engine goes on the gov pushes it forward. (so check all that)

Make sure to do all this stuff with the engine bolted down or the bikes wheels securely off the ground.