Question About 196cc DOHV TAV Setups

I'm thinking of getting a mini bike to do some riding with friends with quads. My biggest concern is how well this engine handles hills. I'm talking moderate inclines at best, no insane dirt bike hill climbs. I'm not a speed demon, and prefer technical crawling. Do you guys think engines like you find in the Trailmaster MB200-2, Monster Moto MM-b212, or Motovox MBX20 (by that, I mean ~200cc w/ TAV) have enough torque to get up hills without having to rely on speed?

If not a change in gearing isn't hard to do. What I noticed was a lot of the bikes being sold look like they have a torque converter and even the salesman will say they do, when what they have is a simple jack shaft assembly. For under a 100 bucks you can put a TC on one. YouTube has a bunch of vids on these. Here is a couple guys abusing a couple minis with a simple clutch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SMgSEol-HQ

Greetings..tc are good for good climbing and will give you good top speed also.. you'll need a big rear sprocket,say a 72t ..i say 72t because you will get good climbing and still top speed..i really would give the mb200-2 a serious look being it has full suspension and has a tc already so no fab stuff to do,your back will thank you every ride..i tossed this vid up..towards the end you will see them climbing a hill and comparing the bikes..also threw link to get sprocket. https://youtu.be/keFel5eDyLA .. 4 Hole Mini Bike Sprocket - GoPowerSports.com

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I was leaning toward the MM-B212, because of the disc brakes, but it looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to add a drum brake up front, so now I'm leaning toward the MB200-2, because of the suspension.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was leaning toward the MM-B212, because of the disc brakes, but it looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to add a drum brake up front, so now I'm leaning toward the MB200-2, because of the suspension.
They are both cool bikes....choose well..:thumbsup:

MattG

I was in the same boat as you and decided to get the MB200-2 because of the rear suspension. It's also $100 less so you can use that savings to buy some upgrades and have an even better bike. I'm good with the stock sprocket for now, so I decided to put the money toward the intake/header/sparkplug/carb jet upgrade. The rear drum brake isn't super great but it isn't bad either.

The MM-212 looks pretty good but if you are riding around with quads you're going to want the rear suspension, and trust me it works great. If the 212 were priced less it might have been a tougher choice. But as it is, I went with the MB200-2 and I'm very happy with it so far.

My first thread about the bike...

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/149499-mb200-2-awesome.html

MM-B212 has what appears to be a much more robust frame, 15% more power, and real brakes. Due to the frame design, it would not be difficult to add rear suspension to to the MM-B212. Monster Moto is a real company with USA headquarters/assembly plant/warehouse, website, phone number, parts online at good prices, etc. TrailMaster is a phantom; no information available; must be just an importer who prefers to remain anonymous. Try finding a TrailMaster website, or any information. You can get an Amazon Prime Rewards Card (which is a good deal), receive a $70 gift card, and buy the MM-B212 through Amazon for $780. Both nice bikes; neither is perfect; I prefer the Monster Moto.

MM-B212_left.png

Last edited:

MattG

MM-B212 has what appears to be a much more robust frame, 15% more power, and real brakes. Due to the frame design, it would not be difficult to add rear suspension to to the MM-B212. Monster Moto is a real company with USA headquarters/assembly plant/warehouse, website, phone number, parts online at good prices, etc. TrailMaster is a phantom; no information available; must be just an importer who prefers to remain anonymous. Try finding a TrailMaster website, or any information. You can get an Amazon Prime Rewards Card (which is a good deal), receive a $70 gift card, and buy the MM-B212 through Amazon for $780. Both nice bikes; neither is perfect; I prefer the Monster Moto.

View attachment 100615
Nice rebuttal for the MM, here are my thoughts...

No one has had any frame issues (that I've seen) on the MB200-2 that would make it a point of difference between the two. The MM appears to have thicker frame tubing, but what gauge is the metal? Also the MB200 has a thick middle tube brace under the seating area that the MM is missing. I personally think both frames are fine but we will find out once the MM is in more hands of the public. In fact the assembled weight between the two bikes is almost identical, even though the MM has a slightly larger engine.

Many folks don't want to fabricate a rear suspension on a brand new bike. I definitely didn't, and there was no way I was going to pay more for that bike and then have to come back and do it. And if something goes wrong and the frame cracks or something, do you think Monster Moto headquarters is going to validate your warranty after you've modified the frame and added rear suspension?

In addition to that, Monster Moto only backs their products for 90 days. The Trailmaster bike is sold through several reputable US distributors (that I've had no problems communicating with) and comes with a full 1 year warranty. Both bikes are made in China. I bought mine from gokartmasters.com, who also is a real company with USA headquarters/assembly plant/warehouse, website, phone number, parts online at good prices, etc. Same as Go Power Sports. Monster Moto has a nice website and present themselves well, and they do a great job at marketing. Their focus is on Monster Moto products only, where as the other US distributors such as Go Power Sports and others are selling several different brands. Bottom line, both products are made in China. One just backs them up much longer, and it isn't Monster Moto.

I actually own a Monster Moto product (80cc) and its fine. Not a fan of the plastics on it but it works. However one thing I noticed when checking reviews on the MM212 was both of the current reviews are from non-owners who are just looking forward to the bike.

https://store.monstermoto.com/collections/mini-bikes/products/classic-212cc-mini-bike?variant=38168377537

Then one day there was a third detailed review that gave the bike two stars. The next day that review was removed. This was extremely fishy IMO, and while I cant prove it, I'm not making it up if you'll just take my word for it. And there are currently zero reviews for the MM 212 on Amazon so it looks like the new buyers are going to be the guinea pigs.

The engine size from 196 to 212 is approximately 8%. If that will add another full one horsepower like they are claiming than that is great. However the MB200-2 comes with a 38t rear sprocket so it already has a higher top end than the MM if you can believe the Monster Moto reps claiming a 33 mph top speed on the 212. My bike will easily hit 40+, but this would be a user preference I guess...a trade off based on the gearing differences and can be easily swapped with a new sprocket at again, added cost.

I agree both bikes should be good, but I still think for the money the MB200 is a better value/package. I was VERY close to ordering the MM212 but after looking over everything I just couldn't do it. I think if it was in the $675 range it would be a much better contender.

Thank you for the cordial conversation.

I was in the same boat as you and decided to get the MB200-2...
Ahh cool, I missed that thread. Thanks for the heads up. Given the similarities between the two, I wonder how easy it would be to just buy the Monster Moto wheel assemblies to use on the Trailmaster.

Last edited:
MattG
Monster Moto is a manufacturer; that's why they distribute only Monster Moto products. I seriously doubt the retailers (which is what they are; not distributors; a distributor provides product to retailers) you mentioned have assembly plants as you said, but they are still providing American jobs while selling Chinese products. While they may use Chinese components, Monster Moto products are assembled in Ruston, LA (see link below). I was close to buying an MB200-2 when Monster Moto announced the MM-B212 about a year ago, and decided to wait for it to be released (had no idea it would be a year). I usually avoid being one of the first people to buy a newly released product, just in case said product still needs some bugs worked out, so now I'm waiting for some real reviews. Like I said, both bikes are probably pretty nice; too bad there isn't a third option combining the best features of both. If we all agreed on everything, it would be quite boring. :wink:

https://www.monstermoto.com/about-us

MattG

Yes from what I have read, they consider themselves a manufacture but all of their products are currently manufactured in China and shipped to the U.S. where they are assembled. I think they would like to have a more active role in manufacturing bikes in the US but it is very cost prohibitive and they mention needing to use robots in this interesting article...

The long, rough ride ahead for 'Made in America' | Reuters

The most likely components Monster Moto could produce in America first are black, welded-metal frames for bikes and go-karts, but they would have to automate production because human welders would be too expensive.

“We can’t just blow up our cost structure,” said Monster Moto President Rick Sukkar. “The only way to make it work in America is with robotics.”

I supported Monster Moto with a 80cc bike for my son. :scooter: So I think you should be our guinea pig and support Monster Moto with the 212 and then report back with your findings! :laugh: You know you want it!

Agree, it would be nice to have more offerings in this class of bike but I'm glad to at least have a few choices. Everyone has different needs and opinions, no problem with that.

Get the bike!!! lol

The Monster Moto B212 seems interesting also, but like others I'll wait to see some photos, video, and ride report.
I wonder if the front suspension/forks are unique to only the B212 or shared by other mini bikes in the market place?

No rear suspension/shocks on the B212 has me thinking what's under that seat?
Maybe something like this would work.
untitled.png

The dual disc breaks stop on the dime and much more sturdy then my trailmaster.Also stock is 9 mph faster all i did was back out screw and run 93 octane and clocked at 38mph. Cant wait till I do air, exhaust, and rejet.