Question on wheel refinish...

MKW

I have a Simplex Compact Sportsman that has had the original aluminum wheels painted (probably several times). What would be the best method to take them back to the original raw finish?? Thanks for any help.

There is a member on this forum that does "media blasting" (I THINK that is what it is called). From the results (photos) I have seen posted THAT is the way to go. I don't remember their name and contact information, but somebody else will come along shortly that will.
Michael

Last edited:

mustangfrank

If you're trying to protect the original aluminum surface (assuming they weren't scuffed up prior to the previous paint jobs) I like to use aircraft stripper and a toothbrush. I've had soda blasting done on smooth castings to keep them smooth but I have to farm that out.

A good media blasting shop will have multiple media choices if you've got one locally, I've gotten great work and advice from a place near me, even DIY and blast cabinet advice...he preferred bigger jobs.

mustangfrank

There is a member on this forum that does "media blasting" (I THINK that is what it is called). From the results (photos) I have seen posted THAT is the way to go. I don't remember their name and contact information, but somebody else will come along shortly that will.
Michael
Are you thinking of cambo61 (Sam?) that does the burnishing? If so just search "burnishing", he does nice work, best to send him ready to burnish parts already stripped though, he does charge for that as an extra and it's good to know if your parts are worth burnishing by stripping first.