Replacement rear brake shoes for Fox fx200 Thunderbolt?

Hi everyone! Happy Memorial Day! I ran across a new issue with my Thunderbolt and I'm hoping someone knows the part number or where to look, but I'm in need of new rear brake shoe for the Fx200 Thunderbolt. I've attempted to buy shoes simply by using measurements but I've now had 2 failed attempts at getting the right ones (each supplier seemed to measure from different parts of the brake shoe either on top of the pad or just the metal) and I'm tired of blowing money on shoes that I'll never be able to use. I've heard that the Rupp shoes should fit, but I thought that the Rupp tires were smaller than the Thunderbolts so I don't want to buy Rupp brakes only for those not to fit. Any help is appreciated. This is literally the final piece I need for the bike to be completed. :punk:

markus

I dont know what wheels your bike has on it, but this info on myrons site may help as many of the mini cycle brakes crossed with the moped parts. If anything it may help with what to look for or how to measure. Grimeca style stuff was pretty widely used on the spoke wheels, but again I really do not know when it comes to the larger fox bikes.

Heres the link to myrons info Brakes « Myrons Mopeds

Thanks Markus I'll check it out. :thumbsup: The shoe that was on it is a Grimeca but there's no other identification marks or numbers to find out which ones they are.

Okay, quick question, the measurement of my drum is 103mm x 25mm deep and Myron's site is saying you'd have to round. Which way would be best? Would I want to go for a 105mm shoe and hope that it'll be smaller than the drums 103mm of space, or do I round down to 100mm? My original shoes are 97 mm x 20mm. Could I assume if I were to get a 105mm that it would actually be as small as a 97mm or should I buy a 100mm set of shoes?

And for additional info, my actual rear spoked rim is 17" (22" including the tire) for reference.

markus

I found another site that has some listed as with the 100x20 in another brand (note they are listed for a tomos revival which is listed on the myrons site under the 105 Grimeca) they have the measurements I was thinking of originally

https://classiccycleparts.com/index...ke-shoes-pads-moped-scooter-100mm-x-20mm.html.

I thought there used to be a better cross reference for these old shoes but I cant find it offhand. I have a sneaking suspicion that the 105x20 grimeca actually measure in as these but not 100% positive.

I found another site that has some listed as with the 100x20 in another brand (note they are listed for a tomos revival which is listed on the myrons site under the 105 Grimeca) they have the measurements I was thinking of originally

https://classiccycleparts.com/index...ke-shoes-pads-moped-scooter-100mm-x-20mm.html.

I thought there used to be a better cross reference for these old shoes but I cant find it offhand. I have a sneaking suspicion that the 105x20 grimeca actually measure in as these but not 100% positive.
Going off of their measurements in the picture and remeasuring mine across the pad it looks like those will work Thanks Markus! If anything even if they don't work I'll just be in the same boat that I'm currently in. And another $20 down the drain isn't going to kill me. :biggrin:

The brake shoes fit [MENTION=5969]markus[/MENTION], thanks! :thumbsup: Unfortunately I still have no brakes despite replacing the shoes and cable, and sanding the drum. :cursing: These brakes will be the end of me.

markus

Glad they fit, bummer it don't stop though!!! Are you using full size motorcycle cables and levers? Also as bend free as possoble cable routing makes a huge difference.

I am using the motorcycle cables and levers, yes, but the cable does have a few bends in it so it could very well be that. I'm also thinking maybe I need to sand the drum a little more. It's awfully smooth for something that's meant to be grabbing another smooth surface. I'm going to take the sandblaster to it tomorrow and see if that makes a difference since I've only hand sanded the drum at this point. Fingers crossed it works.

Turns out it was my cable all along despite having replaced it twice before even buying new shoes. :hammer: The sandblasting did nothing though and I was ready to ditch it and say to hell with back brakes, but then figured I'd go with a shorter cable to minimize bends like you recommended and sure enough. It worked. Thanks for all your help [MENTION=5969]markus[/MENTION]. It was appreciated.

markus

Turns out it was my cable all along despite having replaced it twice before even buying new shoes. :hammer: The sandblasting did nothing though and I was ready to ditch it and say to hell with back brakes, but then figured I'd go with a shorter cable to minimize bends like you recommended and sure enough. It worked. Thanks for all your help [MENTION=5969]markus[/MENTION]. It was appreciated.
Man, thats great :thumbsup: I fought that with a bike JC Penneys sold called a "Digger". Looking at the catalog shot I had a hard time believing that the way you see the cable was actually how it went (you see that a lot on catalog photos, cables not there or hooked up, loose wires, etc..) So I re routed it the way I thought it should be when I was putting the bike together....big mistake because I am an idiot :laugh:, that bike would not stop at all until I ran the cable the way they did. Made me start rethinking the cables and how they are routed after that.

See how its just draped there all half assed looking :doah:

I got it a little better looking by running a longer cable but still had to drape it along the top of the TC cover in order for it give any type of stopping power.

Glad you got it going!!!

Last edited:

pomfish

Markus, who made that Digger for JC Penney? Fox?
I have a front wheel with those fake spokes on a different set of forks/handlebars.

Edit: found it in an old post, Markus nailed it as Bird possibly from a Zapper model bike.
Sorry for the hijack, carry on!
Thanks,
Keith

Last edited:
Man, thats great :thumbsup: I fought that with a bike JC Penneys sold called a "Digger". Looking at the catalog shot I had a hard time believing that the way you see the cable was actually how it went (you see that a lot on catalog photos, cables not there or hooked up, loose wires, etc..) So I re routed it the way I thought it should be when I was putting the bike together....big mistake because I am an idiot :laugh:, that bike would not stop at all until I ran the cable the way they did. Made me start rethinking the cables and how they are routed after that.

See how its just draped there all half assed looking :doah:

I got it a little better looking by running a longer cable but still had to drape it along the top of the TC cover in order for it give any type of stopping power.

Glad you got it going!!!
I can definitely see why you'd think the way they had it in the photo wasn't right. :laugh: It's amazing how something so small and innocuous can be so frustrating.