Rupp engine angle / slope

Always wondered what the motor was angled and sloped on the Rupp models? Would think this was detrimental to oiling? Anyway anyone know why?

markus

basically because Fox corporation developed a bike in the late 1960's and introduced it for the 1969 model year that had a slanted engine, spoke wheels etc...Tecumseh worked with them and allowed/ok'd the engines to be run at a 20 degree slant and even came up with a carburation solution to do that (diaphragm carb and then eventually a slanted intake and even exhaust options) They did this to make it more motorcycle like, but it also helped with ground clearance and suspension with the larger diameter wheels. It was a big hit ( fox reported 3x sales increase for the 1969 year) and most other companies started to follow the trend. what made it even better was the fully automatic TC systems were being developed during '69 which suited the larger spoke wheels very well.

River Rat Ron

Always wondered what the motor was angled and sloped on the Rupp models? Would think this was detrimental to oiling? Anyway anyone know why?
I’m pretty sure angled for TC clearance. As far as oiling I’ve seen these motor / bicycle conversions that position a predator motor where the cylinder is vertical. I guess as long as the dipper is hitting oil it’s oiling.

7679F73D-CF69-4764-80F5-575345B4427A.jpeg

Last edited: