RUPP Hustler, what to do?

I have a 72 rupp hustler, with the original HS40, problem is it runs very poor, itll idle, but when put under ANY load it bogs right out, so i got a free briggs 5hp that runs very strong.

the briggs is mounted in the bike, but i have alot of problems,

1, i cant figure out a good way to run throttle,
2, i cant seem to find a decent manifold and carb for it,
3, the shaft is not drilled for the TAV like the hs40

any ideas guys?

Briggs motors are the worst in a rupp, go to harboe freight and get a clone! I just finished this bike and it rocks! Sell me your motor and i will rebuild it, i will give you money for a new clone!

oldfatguy

buy a new carb for the tecumseh, did you clean the main jet on your tecumseh carb ? I had the same problem as you with my tecumseh all it was is there was junk clogging one of the small holes in the side of the main jet in the bottom of the carb.

oldfatguy

Briggs motors are the worst in a rupp, go to harboe freight and get a clone! I just finished this bike and it rocks! Sell me your motor and i will rebuild it, i will give you money for a new clone!

Wow, that does fit nice. I working on a 70 scrambler now it's nice to know that a clone will fit instead of the hs40

is the shaft on a clone threaded to accept a bolt for the TAV?

and i think the HS40 is just tired, i inspected it years ago and the cylinder is kinda scored and i think the valve guides are worn, but im no real Tecumseh guru....

if i were to buy an HS50, would it be a drop in using my HS40 carb and exhaust? and how hard are they to find an internally threaded shaft to accept a bolt for the TAV?