Rupp roadster with preditor

Thinking of going with the 212cc HF engine over the 3.5hp one on the bike now, does anyone have picks of one installed ? what TC do i need, belt, etc.. the little 3.5hp on her right now runs good but its side exhaust and looks like it has a mis matched clutch on it so maybe better to start from scratch. sorry for all the questions but its been 30 years since i last had a mini bike!!

toomanytoys

a predator on a rupp frame makes for a little rocket.

I had one on my black widow for a short time. Used a comet 20, Rupp driven, and the belt I already had, not sure what lenght. Just measure center of crank bolt, to center of driven jackshaft, and look at the chart on bmi's website.

It was a wheelie monster..

Did you guys use the comet 20 drive clutch only, and leave the stock jackscrew pulley, or did you use both the drive and driven comet 20 pulleys?

30 series on Rupp scrambler

Just got done putting this comet 30 series on my 71 Rupp Scrambler and it works great. A lot of power to the ground.

All you need is a custom exhaust kit and a new 5/16-25 bolt for the TC mount. The output shaft is shorter but not an issue regarding function. You can even run the stock exhaust if you don't mind a little heat by your leg (it's quiet!). I used the stock air cleaner with a little trimming. It fits the stock frame mounting holes perfectly and doesn't have any significant clearance issues.

The one I got had a minibike type throttle attachment, just added a return spring.

You can use the stock clutch, but it will pull just a little bit at idle because of the higher RPM of the idling predator and will be quite "soft".

After doing the swap I then upgraded to a Comet 20 sold by rupparts.com (for use with a 5/8" stock belt). It launches much harder and pulls better but is more difficult to ride because of that. What I had on my rupp originally was a 1/2 drive-driver, the comet 20 drives both sides so it pulls harder.

That predator has so much power you'll be looking for taller gearing too, you max it out very quickly with almost double the hp and torque and want some more. I kept mine governed.

never tried the full upgrade 3/4" belt with comet 20 driven, not sure how the comet 20 driven would mount to the rupp frame (it might work with no issues, no idea).

WARNING::: This makes this bike a grownup only machine.

Last edited:

joshua. c.

a preditors never gona look right in that frame. why not just put a bigger flathead. iv herd the tecumseh hs50 is a good upgrade for that bike and looks fairly correct for the frame. if that isn't powerfull enough for you the tecumseh h50 h60 and h70 also fit and have even more power and torque. they dont look quite as good in the frame as an hs50 but still look better than a preditor.

I don't like the rearward cant either, but it is what it is. Suprised you can't buy a vertical OHV but it must have something to do with pushrod actuation?

There's a honda 5.5 (I think) that is vertical with a front exit exhaust with a 3/4" output shaft.. but not as cheap as a predator.

Rupp with clone exhaust Help.

Picked up this pipe for the clone engine but it hits the seat if only I was able to bend it. Thanks for any help.

Last edited: