Saved a HS40 from the scrap yard, but I need some parts.

jeep4me

I was following some guy this morning while I was taking my kids to school and saw he had a bunch of stuff headed for the scrap yard. I noticed a small white Tec gas tank peeking out from all the junk so I flagged him down and he let me have it for free. It needs some parts, like a new flywheel and a flywheel cover, but I'm pretty sure I be able to get her running.

Last edited:
Cool find! :thumbsup: I found one at a scrap yard for $5. Got it home and cleaned the flywheel and carb and it lit up and ran like new! mine was originally white but I stripped all the paint off, I was going to use it for my rupp project but I found a free running original rupp engine at lawn mower repair shop. They both run excellent! - See photo. Best $5 I ever spent!

Let us know how your progress goes! :thumbsup:

Hey Ruppster

Thats a nice find. An original Tecumseh minibike engine with lighting coil! :thumbsup:

Hey Jeep4me

Let me look around and see what i have.

Josh

Jeep4me - What's wrong with your original recoil housing and flywheel? Other than having them both bead blasted with fine grit media, they should clean up nice and be usable.

jeep4me

The magnets on the inside of the flywheel were factory glued on and from being in such bad condition for so long they let loose when I started to clean it. And yes the entire bottom of the cover is rotted out.

Rust on the flywhell will not hurt a thing......as long as keyway is good and magnet is tight use it! The plastic fan is replaceable. I have them in stock

jeep4me

Just an update, I got the parts that I needed to get this motor running. I had some problems getting the coil set to the flywheel evenly. Anybody know an easier way of setting Tec coils?

If its under the flywheel, it should be stationary,But it might be slotted. I can't remember whether mine was or not. You just don't want it to rub.
The ones on the outside, I always use a businees card or piece of thin chippboard like a sandpaper pack.

Last edited:

jeep4me

It is under the fly wheel. And it's the older style of magnets, the ones that are glued on to the flywheel. I assume that they don't need to be perfectly gapped between the two magnets and the coil, as the motor does run, I was just wondering if there is an easier way of setting this style.

the slots in the magneto mouting is nto for centering the mag inside the flywheel but for setting ignition timing. Timing is critical and should be done properly for best running.