Saxonette idle problems

I can't get my Saxonette running right! I'm pretty sure it's a carb problem.

The carb is a Bing 1/12/1670. I have a repro manual for the Sachs, but nothing for the bing specifically. The Sachs manual isn't very detailed with carb info.

The piston and bore are clean. The exhaust is new and unobstructed. New gaskets were installed on the base, intake, and reed block. I have a good spark. Timing was unchanged. In fact the engine has not been restored and looked almost new.

Problem:
I have no idea how this type of carb works. Not like the kart carbs I'm used to.

It will start only at full throttle. The engine responds nicely to throttle control, but only for a 5 seconds. I swear bubbles are coming up the fuel line! Then it dies and is hard to start again.

I have disassembled the carb and cleaned out the jets and passages with solvent and air. Nothing looks bent or strange. I'm pretty sure it ran before the restoration.

I have also tried starting with a NOS carb and the same thing happens.

Is there a basic setup I'm missing when starting fresh? What is with the black button next to the fuel inlet? Any suggestions would help.

MikeBear

I can't get my Saxonette running right! I'm pretty sure it's a carb problem.

The carb is a Bing 1/12/1670. I have a repro manual for the Sachs, but nothing for the bing specifically. The Sachs manual isn't very detailed with carb info.

The piston and bore are clean. The exhaust is new and unobstructed. New gaskets were installed on the base, intake, and reed block. I have a good spark. Timing was unchanged. In fact the engine has not been restored and looked almost new.

Problem:
I have no idea how this type of carb works. Not like the kart carbs I'm used to.

It will start only at full throttle. The engine responds nicely to throttle control, but only for a 5 seconds. I swear bubbles are coming up the fuel line! Then it dies and is hard to start again.

I have disassembled the carb and cleaned out the jets and passages with solvent and air. Nothing looks bent or strange. I'm pretty sure it ran before the restoration.

I have also tried starting with a NOS carb and the same thing happens.

Is there a basic setup I'm missing when starting fresh? What is with the black button next to the fuel inlet? Any suggestions would help.
Are you sure the carb air cleaner element is installed? If it isn't, you won't be able to set the idle. Also, you need this manual. I own one, and it has good stuff in it. Also, that engine is a 2 stroke, and bad CRANK seals can cause idling issues. The black button is a prime button, for when your carb float bowl is empty of gas. Just hold it down for a short while, to fill the float bowl.:

SACHS 50 REPAIR MANUAL FOR MINI BIKES | eBay

Last edited:
I have the manual.

Wow. I figured it would run without the filter element and cover. I'll try that.

What does the black button do on the float. Should the brass float go in needle side down, or up?

MikeBear

Here's the guy that has the answers for sure. I never had to tear my carb apart yet, and I'm at work and don't have my manuals handy:

Bob
R. L. Fragoman
Box 157
Memphis, NY 13112
(315) 689-7047
mbman@juno.com

He responds to emails, but phone is faster. He makes a living selling parts for this bike, and bought the old stock after Fox shutdown.

These guys also sell some parts, and an owners manual. Go to "Vintage parts" and search for "Fox Sundowner Owners Manual"

VINTAGE PARTS & HOFFCO/COMET Lauson power Certified Parts Corporation has Your Parts Cart for WetBikes, SurfJets, ATV's, PWC's, Mini-Bikes, Go-Karts, RV's, UTV's and Snowmobiles! OEM, aftermarket, and hard to find parts

Here's a lot of good info: http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

Last edited: