Sears Project

Got another one today,as if I needed another project. This one will have to wait til spring,but I wanted to start the thread now with pics of as recieved condition. Need an ID on the motor. It has a Sears # 143-615062. It's a 5, 6, or 7hp Tecumseh, but I don't know which. Bike seems to be 100% original and complete. Scrub brake and small jackshaft brake both still work. Throttle still works, etc. But with the build off and the Boonie ahead of it, it will have to wait, but I'd still like to ID the engine, so I can start getting the parts to rebuild it and the carb.

Last edited:
I think all that's missing is the clutch cover. It even has the sticker on the top tree, between the handlebars saying it's to be rode on private property and is not to be operated on public roads, highways, streets, or alleys. To do so is unlawful.:lol::001_tt2::thefinger: We'll be unlawful I guess.

delray

jimh,without looking up id on your motor. i believe you have a 6or7hp motor on your minibike. 6and7hp carb's bolt straight on and 5hp drops like a 4hp and when you get into a 8hp the intake drops way down:thumbsup:
tecumseh did make a odd 4hp big block that looks like a 6or7hp but kind of hard to find,also they can be found on old sears equipment? and you do have a sears number on it?4hp?????big block
:scooter:................nice minibike to restore someday:thumbsup:

Last edited:
The number came up as a H50 on the link OldMan gave me. It has to be 5,6,or 7. It has the offset motor mount plate that bolts into the bottom of the block. Some times they used different intakes for different applications. I have 3 hs35s that have 3 different intakes.

It looks identical to my H70. I guess I'll measure the bore and stroke to make sure. Could be a H60 or 70 With a H50 cover. They may have changed the engine and used the original cover for the throttle set up.

delray

i have only seen 6and7hp motors with metal plate bottoms:confused:
but it could be a odd unit:confused::eek:ut:
you might have to do little measuring on the bore.

delray

yes jimh, there can be some real odd 3hp and 3 1/2hp . some with side exhaust and some that come straight out next to the intake.
i have real odd tecumseh engine i just can't id
the id tag is bolted on the crankcase breather(no id on side cover) and engine has a ver-carb on it and gear reduction unit on it and a windup crank cover. very rare,only engine i have ever seen on a horz-tecumseh engine.

jimh, sometimes i think it's easyer to id a small block chevy or big block then trying to id some of these tecumseh's engines.:doah:

I have a HS35 with that type of updraft diaphram carb. It doesn't have the gear reduction though. I can rebuild a sbc blindfolded,but you really have to look hard at the Tecumsehs.

Last edited:

delray

jimh,i look up your id and it does show metal plate on the 5hp motor. looks to be one of them older odd units. most 5hp bottoms are built like a 4hp or smaller. if you keep that engine on that minibike it should really fly..........:thumbsup:

richs

the h stands for horazonal the hs stands for horazonal small block the larg blocks from h4 threw h7 came with offset plate on the bottom the h8 threw h10 have the base cast in to the block like the hs2 threw hs5 its one way I can get a good idea of what Im iioking at without looking up # like jmih said you never who got their before you:drinkup:

delray

richs,do you know when tecumseh made the h4-h7 engines. in the 70's only?
i have only seen couple h4 engines on some snow blowers and they look to be from the 70's
when we talk about off set plates,i am assuming the engine is off-set to left or right from the original mounting holes?
never seen a 5hp with a metal plate only a 4hp,6hpand7hp. so that engine jimh has kind of anwsers some questions. all h4-h7 engines have straight on carb's that bolt to the block and that the hs4andhs5 block is totally different from h4andh5 and that the h4-h7 engines(blocks) are base on the 6hp and 7hp big blocks.
man tecumseh sure made lot of different engine designs:confused:
:scooter:..............richs thanks for posting the info,it make little easyer to id a tecumseh when i am at swapments:thumbsup:

Nice find Jim. :thumbsup: You do them in order? :doah:

I looked in my crossover book and didn't see your number but the H70's where all bunched up in that numericle range. Someone must of dropped that puppy in there.

GTO, The # came up as H50 on the link I got from OldMan. This was an accidental find. A guy at work had it, and wanted me to work on it. Since it pretty much needs a total re-do, I'm trading the blue Azusa with a 5.5 clone for it. I don't do mine in order, I jump back and forth, but the Boonie is almost done, and I need to finish the build off Bird before the deadline, and it's a total build from scratch. After that, I'm hoping to have time to get on this one.

richs

delray not sure of the year but did come off a old snow blower I was told of a way to tell the years by one of the digets in the seriel # only not sure how to tell if its 60s 70s or 80s onley 0-9 single year #:drinkup:

richs

by the way hs2 1/2 threw 3 1/2 usally have the intake and exaust ports opesit then hs4 & hs5. By offset plates I mean steel plates bolted to the bottom of the block in order to bolt it down for mounting unlike the motor in the pic above:drinkup:few to go

Hi Guys, new to the board. I was looking for info on my Sears Mini which is very close to this one. Mine had a 5HP engine but I do not remember what make. It had a Comet style Torque converter back to a jackshaft with a big chrome cover. The engine is long gone but have been looking to get it running again for the grandson (yeah, that's my excuse you know I'll be riding it!). As soon as I get the time I'll post a pic of it as it appears to be all original and is in decent shape.

I think I am going to enjoy this board!

WillieE