Setting up a Raptor

Okay, so I've had this Raptor sitting on the workbench for a couple years. I bought an old Kart off of a buddy that had stopped racing, and he sold me his kart, motor, and a boat load of tires and wheels for $300. I didn't do anything with it when I got it because I've always played with the clones. I pulled the Raptor off of the bench today to check it out. I pulled the side cover off, and I noticed that the gear that slides over the PTO came off with the side cover. There is a very small piece of keystock that holds it in place. I looked at the cam, and I saw that there was a timing mark on the cam, but it won't line up with the mark on the small gear when I'm at TDC. Is this normal? There is a small mark on the "counterweight" part of the crankshaft as well. Is this supposed to line up with something? Sorry for the bonehead questions. These things are a little different than what I'm used to.

With any flathead if you can it's easier without valve springs but with the piston at tdc. Both valves should be open the same on overlap. This especially works well when you have an adjustable camshaft with no timing marks on the gear.

125ccCrazy

the piston will Not be at tdc when the dots are lined up.. don't go by the dot on the counter balance either, that is usually a tooth off on the gear, at least on the cranks I've had... just line the dots up and you will be good..

125ccCrazy

Thanks Dennis, glad your happy with it..

another way to find the correct tooth on the crank gear is to start with the gear tooth directly below the casting line on the crank and count down the right side 12 teeth and that's the tooth to line the cam gear dot with.. I will then put some red marker or a dab of paint on that tooth...