Shaving a cam

I recent bought a Tillotson 212 for my bike, I placed a billet rod and Mod2 cam inside of it. Everything was fine but after the break in and oil changes I started to hear a lot of metal clacking. Opened the case back up and found Mod2 cam smacking the crank so I was going to take it out to shave it and one of the rod bolts completely stripped on me.

So, am I able to shave the cam instead or just say hell with it - throw the stock cam back in it and donate to the kids bike? I really tried to get that bolt out but its toast and its just not coming out.

Last edited:
If you ran it and broke it in, then it started clacking, it is most likely NOT THE CAM HITTING SOMETHING.
There should be marks wherever something was hitting.
By "stripped out" do you mean you rounded off the head of the bolt?

Unsure what to say, I took it apart and looked inside. The cam had marks on it and the crank lobes were worn down a bit. I will take the head off soon and see if I can find anything else.

Yes, the rod bolt is rounded so I can no longer take out the rod/crank.

Augiedoggie

I suspect you have problems. If engine ran without noise and metal shavings and developed noises and metal shavings after break in it would seem your rod bearing has worn and allowed rod to contact cam. Some aftermarket rods require grinding cam for rod clearance. Did your installation instructions suggest checking clearance?

Last edited:
Can you move the rod back and forth on the crankshaft? Does the stripped rod bolt by any chance line up with any marks inside the engine?
I really do not think removing the head will help you find the problem.