Skat kitty exhaust “elbow”

DaddyJohn

I've done what Steve73 did (exactly as pictured in post #8) for a Kohler tractor engine, and I just used standard mild steel to make my flange and welded it to the pipe elbow using a MIG welder with shielding gas. I can't make any claims that you could hang the tractor from that weld or something, but it looked good and was more than sufficient for holding the muffler. :)

Steve73

How did you weld steel to cast iron [if it is indeed cast iron]? I talked to a fabricator that said it couldn't be done.
What sat said above. It’s mild steel, welded right up then I painted it with black header paint. I’ll tell ya that little piece was making a lot of tingling sounds as it was cooling down. Lol.. no shielding gas I welded it outside in the elements..

What sat said above. It’s mild steel, welded right up then I painted it with black header paint. I’ll tell ya that little piece was making a lot of tingling sounds as it was cooling down. Lol.. no shielding gas I welded it outside in the elements..
If you had flux core wire you were probably fine.
I have TIG brazed some old cast iron fittings to steel before, where there’s a will, there’s a way lmao

Glen in Ohio makes these elbows. I bought one from him about 8 or so years ago. I'm thinking his elbow will work if he can wrench it off the pipe!! I'd like to see a picture of the rest of the pipe...that may still work too!! My exhaust and elbow looked similar to that in the pic. Worked it loose, sent to the chromer and now looks great!!

novadose74

I would heat up that ring, after a couple heat cycles I bet it will work free
Well, you were correct! I heated that sum bitch about six times. I heated it then let it sit, put some really good penetrating solvent, then Cracked it with a hammer a few times. I finally got some good channel locks with good teeth and put EVERYTHING I had into turning that ring. It loosened up very slowly, but I got it! Thanks for the advice!!! Tom

novadose74

Well, I did it!!! Got that ring loose. That thing was on there!! It took all my strength to free that ring. So now that I got it loose, I still have to figure out what I’m gonna do . My block threads are stripped to shit. My new pipe does not have that tiny flange on the end. What do restorers of Skat Kitties do in this situation. The block is original to the bike, so I don’t want to use any old block to replace it. The two bolt holes next to the exhaust port are NOT stripped, so they are usable. Any advice?? Thanks . Tom 0BBE0F44-0685-42A6-B571-4B3307D7C481.jpeg 18F9297C-22E1-4227-BD7B-29582F7AD177.jpeg 1CD4B592-BA5F-482B-9D53-B9BEC062EA4B.jpeg

Glad to hear you were able to finally get it off!
If it were me I would make a flange and weld up a new exhaust that doesn’t thread in,
Keep the stock part and sell it with the bike

The exhaust threads were stripped on my block too. I wound up using another block!! How bad is the original pipe? Mine was pretty bad but looks great after being cleaned and chromed!!

Fourtogo

Well, I did it!!! Got that ring loose. That thing was on there!! It took all my strength to free that ring. So now that I got it loose, I still have to figure out what I’m gonna do . My block threads are stripped to shit. My new pipe does not have that tiny flange on the end. What do restorers of Skat Kitties do in this situation. The block is original to the bike, so I don’t want to use any old block to replace it. The two bolt holes next to the exhaust port are NOT stripped, so they are usable. Any advice?? Thanks . Tom View attachment 252740 View attachment 252741 View attachment 252746
Retap threads . If that’s not possible. A metric size may allow a retap.

novadose74

The exhaust threads were stripped on my block too. I wound up using another block!! How bad is the original pipe? Mine was pretty bad but looks great after being cleaned and chromed!!
The original pipe is ok. I do have a new pipe I can use that is perfect. It does not have the little flange at the end . I’m thinking I could tack weld a small washer at the end from the inside, and carefully grind it down till III fits.

novadose74

Glad to hear you were able to finally get it off!
If it were me I would make a flange and weld up a new exhaust that doesn’t thread in,
Keep the stock part and sell it with the bike
Im leaning towards doing that. Maybe make a flange, then tap the flange, so I can still screw in the original elbow. That should work, I think. Lol

Harquebus

I was not aware of the difference. Thought all the heavy, cast, pebbly texture plumbing elbows were all cast iron and not steel.
This is good news and am surprised the fabricator I mentioned before saw no other way, as in mentioning black pipe as an alternative material for a 45° elbow [welded to some straight exhaust header].

As far as the elbow in question goes, is this some highly specialized piece that only one of our members [Glen] can provide?

It looks like hardware store stuff.