Smithy mill & drill

Anyone own one of these Smithy mill & drill combo machines/ I'm thinking about getting one after Christmas. I'd like some ffedback on these machines so I can decide what to do.

KB2ROCKET

I own a Shop Task mill drill lathe its great but takes up the whole bench and its to heavy to move without special equipment as far as the table goes I dont recall ever seeing one that moved up and down before

I asked about them earlier because I had read a (supposedly) unbiased review written by a guy who had bought one for his small chopper shop...

His opinion was that they were high-quality, and worked great for non-production type applications...one-off custom machining, where time isn't a critical factor...

I am still looking for a space-saving machining center for my home garage, to be used for minibike and chopper parts, and I'm still considering getting a Smithy 3-in-1.

KB2ROCKET

I would suggest buying wha is popular and has been around for a while that way if you need parts you can get them
if you save money and buy a harbor freight special and it breaks you may ot be able to get parts
just my 2 cents :)

Amen, Brother...

Harbor Freight has never helped me get replacement parts for the tools I've bought there, and I've needed a bunch of replacement parts for that cheap crap...

We work...we learn...we eventually end up with tools that work too...

KB2ROCKET

I love harbor frieght its a good place to get cheap (one time use) hand tools but whenever quality long term dependability and service is needed I shop else where
but if I need a bag of tie wraps or some garden gloves or a box knife that place rules
I have bought a drill press a engine hoist a floor jack and jack stands there and so far no problems but I also understand that once they break thats it their done
the jack stands are WAY heavyer than I need cuz I just dont trust the quality
good luck with your smithy I find that most of the time tools will last a long time if you dont push them to hard and you keep them clean and lubricated (I cant say I always do that) :)

I have owned a Smithy for years.It is great for what it is.The table does not have to move up or down,you move the head up or down.I have made lots of little parts with it.It does not take up much room,and while we all can find free lathes to bring home and set up,you can set this on a bench,make the minor fine tuning adjustments as shown in the manual,plug it in and use it.I bought a scratch and dent sale one,and have never regretted it.