(Sorta) Finished El Tigre

I know there is stuff left to do (mount front fender, clean and paint rear fender bracket, and other small odds and ends) but I got to ride the El Tigre for the first time today. I didn't take the governer off the 6.5 horse Harbor Freight motor, it's fast enough for me right now, especially with the scrub brake being the one and only stopping power for it.
I have a funny feeling the clutch isn't going to last, carrying around my 200 pound self, and I had a bad feeling about it when I ordered it, but I'' run it til the clutch dies, then go ahead and get a good one.
Anyway, thanks to all who have helped me here on the oldminibikes.com forum.
(I know, I know, it's a "clone of a clone" motor, but I might have just found an old B&S 5 horse for it...)

Last edited:
minibike king, I don't really know if those Lifan/Harbor Freight engines are any good or not.... I've only ridden it about 5 miles so far, and, so far, it's been great. I know I'm probably in for it, if I ever need parts of any kind, but as it stands right now, one pull on the rope at full choke, and away it goes... and even with the governor still working, it goes plenty fast for me, especially, as I said above, since I only have the worn-out scrub brake on the back wheel to slow me down...:scooter::thumbsup:

Last edited:
zipseattle, yes, I did. I used the original Central Machinery/ Lifan flange, and other pieces of tubing, and a lawn mower muffler, to "Frankenstein" the exhaust together. Thats one of the small details that need to be attended to- grind down my horrible welds, and paint the exhaust with some high-temp paint.