Speedway Shrike

Hey guys. Up for sale is my Speedway Shrike. When I first picked it up, it was really rough and hadn't run in years. I tore it all down and painted the frame hunter green. I went through and replaced all of the bearings. The handlebars it came with were BMX style so I ditched those in favor of a more period correct ape hanger. Even though they are not original speedway bars, I think they really fit the bike. It was missing the fenders so I ordered up a generic chrome fender. It's a little short but looks nice. The tires are what it came with, and they have new tubes installed.

Sorry to disappoint, but the engine is not a real Rupp. It is a clone of a Rupp Tecumseh. The previous owner did this and I thought it looked good enough to keep. The engine is actually a craftsman Tecumseh model 143, or an H35. The old carb was trashed so I installed a new replacement. The exhaust is a real Taylor type 100 spark arrestor. It was originally pointing at the bottom of the seat and had bad welds all over it. I cleaned this up and clocked it correctly so now your ass doesn't cook while riding :laugh: The engine starts on the first or second pull and runs awesome. With the torque converter setup, this bike moves out surprisingly well!

The two big issues with this bike that bother me are the front forks, and the gas tank. The front forks are locked up solid, so they would likely need a rebuild. The gas tank is very clean on the inside, but the outside is where I have an issue. It's a bit lumpy from previous repairs. It presents well, but it's not up to my standard.

Sorry for the long winded post. I really enjoyed building this bike, but it's time to move on to the next project.

I am located in the west Chicago suburbs. I'd prefer local pickup. If you want to ship this, you will need to make your own arrangements but I would be happy to facilitate however possible.

I am asking $450 obo.

Last edited: