Spray Fluid Film on your exhaust, tell me what happens. (nothing happen, yes, something did, I have picss)

Welp, was out in a lot of wet weather and me poipes started to rust, so I sprayed on some Fluid Film (99.7% sure it was FF).
I believe I sprayed it on just after I shut the engine down.
NICE!!!

I'll get pics tomorrow....

OHHHHH, BOY!
I went and made some pics, and I brought a flashlight.
When I looked at the pipe in the dark hallway it looked blued, but with light on it, it's not.

However, I did think of coating my pipe with vegetable oil to see if that would do it, but maybe the Fluid Film could still do that with a fully hot pipe?

Sorry people, I pulled an idoit manuver.

OK, it actually did blue the pipe just a bit, I put the fluid film on cool down, so....
I guess I'll put more on and get a good bake-on happening.

1st pic is before Fluid Film application.
PIPE.png IMG_0668.JPG IMG_0669.JPG IMG_0670.JPG IMG_0671.JPG

Harquebus

Hey that's pretty neat. . .

How long have you been running this pipe? The thing we most often see with regular plain carbon steel straight-thru,"tuned" pipes is that after long term use, they are all rusty crusty red-brown and discolored, mainly rusted.

Sounds like you're seasoning your pipe with oil--baking it on--(like an iron skillet) which might prove good for longevity

I74

Marvel mystery oil & a bit of WD on a rag works real good for me,, going over the pipe with the rag, & then immediately following up with fine steel wool or ultra fine Scotch brite.
Might have to repeat the process a few times....
Don't recommend circular motions with the steel wool/ Scotch brite ect.,, just back & fourth, with not to much pressure,, as you will get swirl marks ect. in the metal.
The 3 stage Pipe on My GX-200 turned out real good in doing this,, & the bluing transition on it is really cool looking,, & it's shiny.;)

Added,,
Just wiping the ''cold'' pipes ect. once in a while with the Marvel / WD on the rag,, will help ''a lot'' in keeping rust down.
You want to try & wipe most of it off though.

I

Last edited:

Harquebus

...Just wiping the ''cold'' pipes ect. once in a while with the Marvel / WD on the rag,, will help ''a lot'' in keeping rust down.
You want to try & wipe most of it off though.
I wasn't trying to oil my old pipe {from 'jtw fabrication' on ebay} but it was shiny when new and I halfway cringed watching it turn rainbow colors from use. However, a few times I rubbed it with #0000 steel wool or metal polish to try to see if I could bring the finish back {heard Harley guys use metal polish on their pipes with good success}.

But at that time I failed to realize that steel wool fresh from the package is lightly oiled. I never knew this. You're supposed to rinse your steel wool in acetone before use {if you don't want to contaminate whatever you're working on}.

Anyway, the pipe never flash rusted like I expected it to so the pipe is now a near-uniform black and blue. It looks like blued steel.
I guess it got darkened and remained rust free from oily steel wool and/or skin oils from my hands. Basically on accident.

Hey that's pretty neat. . .

How long have you been running this pipe? The thing we most often see with regular plain carbon steel straight-thru,"tuned" pipes is that after long term use, they are all rusty crusty red-brown and discolored, mainly rusted.

Sounds like you're seasoning your pipe with oil--baking it on--(like an iron skillet) which might prove good for longevity
That's the idea, I have a steel plate that I bake with and use as a plate to eat from, I have been experimenting, I don't wash it with soap anymore, I run it under water, scrub it, remove debris, but don't remove the oil, bake it (the oil residued plate) at 450F for about 5 minutes, I have a steel plate that won't rust now.
So next I am going to use some old french fry oil on my mini pipe, see what that does.

I have been using this pipe since early spring, but last weekend was the first it saw major rain. (that was also an earlier pre rain photo (1st pic))

Last edited:

I74

That's the idea, I have a steel plate that I bake with and use as a plate to eat from, I have been experimenting, I don't wash it with soap anymore, I run it under water, scrub it, remove debris, but don't remove the oil, bake it (the oil residued plate) at 450F for about 5 minutes, I have a steel plate that won't rust now.
So next I am going to use some old french fry oil on my mini pipe, see what that does.

I have been using this pipe since early spring, but last weekend was the first it saw major rain. (that was also an earlier pre rain photo (1st pic))
You use McDonalds French fry oil,, it'll never rust. LOL:D !!!!!!!
Hell,, just wipe it down with a handful of their fries,, that'll work ! LMFAO :p

You're right 174...those McD fries will not spoil or mold for months. I have one of their apple pies that's 5 years old and it still looks "fresh out of the oven"...embalming fluid? IDK !!! Pie on the pipes might work too!

I74

You're right 174...those McD fries will not spoil or mold for months. I have one of their apple pies that's 5 years old and it still looks "fresh out of the oven"...embalming fluid? IDK !!! Pie on the pipes might work too!
LOL,,
Embalming fluid mixed with Ex-Lax ??

I've seen fries underneath car seats ''at least'' 1/2 dz. years old,, that looked like they ''just'' came out of the fryer.
P/S,,
Don't forget the chicken McNuggets ! :p

Last edited:
Now we're talking, has anyone thought about having a hot meal at a pit stop?
Yes I have thought about an oven to fit over the exhaust, after about 45 minutes of riding a baked potato can really hit the spot.
Or you could make a hot dog cooker and bun steamer, ...MEATLOAF!!!

A metal can with an exhaust pipe running though it.
And your gonna want coffee, I am sure that can be done too.

mustangfrank

Now we're talking, has anyone thought about having a hot meal at a pit stop?
Yes I have thought about an oven to fit over the exhaust, after about 45 minutes of riding a baked potato can really hit the spot.
Or you could make a hot dog cooker and bun steamer, ...MEATLOAF!!!

A metal can with an exhaust pipe running though it.
And your gonna want coffee, I am sure that can be done too.
Search snowmobile muff pots or hot dogger, those idiots (used to include me) have been eating off the pipe forever.