Storing old engines?

copyman

Hi,

Two general engine questions,

1) Do you drain new oil when storing an engine? I rebuilt an extra 1970 TEC 5 HP for my Hilltopper , put on bike just to test and used about 30 mins. Now I want to put on shelf where it might sit for several years. I did run the engine until it ran out of gas so no gas in carb. Plus I only use engineered fuel in my engines.

2) When rebuilding old L head engines are Tecumseh & Briggs similar? I will be picking up a bike with a Briggs 5hp and was going to rebuild the engine if similar because I've only rebuilt TEC engines up to this point?

I asked on another thread for the B&S "L head" manual.

Thanks in advance

toomanytoys

I left the oil and used a fogging oil spray for long term storage. Not sure if it helps but it's in there. They have been sitting for a decade now. Haven't tried starting them.

HM80 super bronc spec
H50 Hilltopper spec
HS40 rupp original

We will see whenever I need them.....they are stored in the basement of my dad's house on a shelf. Dry and temp stays pretty consistently 60 degrees year round

mustangfrank

I don't always change my oil before winter storage but I try to, even if it's not due for regular maintenance.

Fresh engine that you think might sit for an extended period, you should definitely change or drain that break-in oil. I always remembered the warnings about H2O being a combustion by-product in used oil...cast iron liners and uncoated rings no likey.