Stupid Mistake

Well tonight I made a really dumb mistake. I was cleaning a newer style 5 hp gas tank and punched a pretty big whole through the bowl. Would Jb weld be able to patch this up?

bandit 40

I personally don't have an answer...but may have an extra tank, if you want to pay the shipping its yours if you don't get her sealed up again. :thumbsup:

Solder it with a propane torch, plumbing style. But make sure the tank is clean of gas and vapors. It'll be sandable and paintable, you can make it look like it never happened.

Odds are if you flatten it out as sugested you can solder a patch on easy enough.

I do this kind of things all the time.....

I sugested some time ago my method for cleaning these things in another thread.

Quick recap.....

Caustic soda ( same stuff used to in a latrine ) 1 cup to 5 imperial gallons of water with a few drops of dish soap to help with any remaining oi.

Then I run 2 Amps through to a common steel Anode.

In 16 to 24 hours all paint and rust are blown off and you relatively clean steel.

Follow up is an acid washing using concetrated Phosphoric acid weld cleaner diluted 10 to 1.

This followed up with a clean water bath and a shot of WD 40 ASAP.

Clean with panle whipe and shoot at any time.
The Any places that may still have rust can be easily cleaned with a little elbo grease and the acid.

The dip solution will desolve your hands and melt your eyeballs so face shiled and gloves.

This has been a long time in development.
No steel is harmed in the process.....

Some pictures.
This is a Coleman Canada 1962 4m stove.
Rusty and the paint is baked on in most places, burned in others.
AS you can see the dip is turning that paint funny colours and its falling off the steel in less than an hour.
Notice the bubbles?
Electrolosis in action DO NOT smoke around this in an enclosed space.
Coleman stuff :: 100_9294.jpg picture by Dougwp - Photobucket

24 hours in the dip for this stove
Coleman stuff :: 100_9296.jpg picture by Dougwp - Photobucket
This is ready for acid wash now and a little steel wool with the acid will getthis nice and clean
Coleman stuff :: 100_9296.jpg picture by Dougwp - Photobucket

Before:
Coleman stuff :: Old 4M picture by Dougwp - Photobucket
After:
Coleman stuff :: 1962 4M picture by Dougwp - Photobucket
Actualy it would apear after morphed into a complete different later version of the 4M.
I can't explain this possibly a differnt stove I forget now.
Coleman stuff :: 1962 4M picture by Dougwp - Photobucket

See the other projects in this file.
The AGM IL-IIB inverted 1960 ( red upsideown lantern in English ) was also done using this process. Thats a rare bird and I would not strip and clean it any other way out of fear for ruining a lantern I would likely never be able to replace.

How serious you take cleaning and removing rust is up to you.
I tried just about every kindof chemical treatment out there for rust removal andpaint stripping untill I came along with this.

Nothing beats it.

BUT BE BLOODY CAREFUL

The caustic solution is very corrosive to your skin ( but its sdafe to poor out in the ditch when finnished figure that out my lawn is green )