Subaru EX17

You need a bigger jet if it is a modded engine...too much air and not enough fuel. That is why it runs with the choke on...extra rich when it is on and then leans out with it off. If it is not modded...carb needs cleaned or replaced for same reason....not enough fuel.

I bought the motor at a swap meet in a box for $1. Cleaned it up and replaced the carb. The original air filter was missing so I bought an after market filter on ebay. It has run great as long as I choke it. I have a jet left over from a Predator 212, I wonder if it will fit a Japanese motor.

Attachments

You can always get the jet and air filter kit for it. I can't remember but I think they all use the same jets....someone correct me if I am wrong. My guess is that different air filter is allowing more air than the factory one which is causing a lean condition like I mentioned.

You can always get the jet and air filter kit for it. I can't remember but I think they all use the same jets....someone correct me if I am wrong. My guess is that different air filter is allowing more air than the factory one which is causing a lean condition like I mentioned.

Thanks for your help. I will try the extra jet I have from the jet kit I bought at OldMiniBikes. If it is not the right size I will try and find a jet kit for a Subaru. They are harder to find performance parts for.

I have a Subaru Robin EX17 that runs great as long as the choke is on. Any idea's why ?
This is the classic symptom of a clogged pilot jet. See item number -5 in the attached diagram link. I have never worked on a Subaru motor before, but from the diagram it seems pretty basic. The pilot jet supplies fuel at low speed or when the throttle is closed. On most carbs, the pilot jet is accessed through the float bowl. The Subaru's pilot jet appears to screw in through the top of the carb.

The pilot jet orifice is tiny. It becomes clogged when the engine sits unused for awhile. The fuel in the carburetor evaporates, leaving behind some crud that hardens inside the jet passage. Flipping the choke lever on allows enough extra fuel in to keep the engine running, but it won't run well.

Remove the pilot jet and hold it up to the light to see if the hole is open. If you cannot see light through the center of the jet, it's plugged. A squirt of carb cleaner and a little poking with a small sewing needle should work to clear the passage. Squirt some more carb cleaner into the hole on the carb where the jet mounts, and maybe use a little compressed air, too.

While you're at it, remove and clean the main jet and emulsion tube. These are items -20 & -22 on the diagram and are accessed through the float bowl.

The photo is a main jet from one of my Honda scooters that I was working on last week. It had the exact problem described above after it sat unused for 18 months. I attached the photo just to show what a clean hole looks like. :D

EX17 Carb Diagram

Cleaned the carb. and jets (they were dirty) and it started right up. Still will die when I take the choke off. When I picked this motor up it was missing the air filter assembly so I put on a filter I got on Ebay. I know this is the problem so I am thinking of ordering the original factory air filter assembly and see if that will cure my problem. It is a little expensive, but I don't have much invested in it anyway. Hard to find a larger jet for it, so I am willing to try the stock filter. What are your thoughts. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

What Cheezy 1 said - it's either not getting enough fuel or it's getting too much air. It just seems unlikely to me that the air filter alone would make such a diff that it wouldn't run with the choke off, but I could be wrong. Still, I'd double check the fuel path before buying an air filter.

It runs great as long as the choke is on, and dies as soon as I take it off. I can run it all day as long as I leave the choke on. Plenty of fuel. Don't know who would carry a bigger jet, hav'nt found one yet. Thought if I put the stock air assembly back on it might solve the problem.