Super Bronc VT-812/1012 Front Wheel/Brake Conversion

Has anyone tried a Super Bronc VT-812/1012 front wheel conversion using a Honda ATC 125/185 front wheel/brake?

We all know SB drum brake doesn't work and a Honda ATC 125/185 may be a good option. It has a real drum brake and a 22x11-8 front tire which is similar to SB 21x12-8 tire.

Thanks,
Charlie

Curious as to your NEED for a front brake on the SB? The jack shaft band brakes on the rear of these bikes stop on a dime and will lock up the rear tire very easily.
Michael

I've always used my front brake more than rear. Maybe it's a habit from my Enduro riding days. My other concern is not having a brake if you throw a chain.

chrisr

The Super Bronc uses a 5/8 axle and the ATC is metric which seems a little smaller in diameter shaft. I have put a 5/8 axle in a ATC, but had to drill out the hole in the lower ATC shock to accommodate the larger axle.

Has anyone tried a Super Bronc VT-812/1012 front wheel conversion using a Honda ATC 125/185 front wheel/brake?

We all know SB drum brake doesn't work and a Honda ATC 125/185 may be a good option. It has a real drum brake and a 22x11-8 front tire which is similar to SB 21x12-8 tire.

Thanks,
Charlie
I'm currently in the process of working on a disc brake conversion to the Super Bronc front drum brake. This alternative will be relatively low cost, easy to install, and minimal alterations to the original parts. I'll be posting pics and info when I'm done.

OPEtech..........thanks for tackling the front disc brake issue......as we all knew, the front band brake was more show than go. Never been able to get much out of mine. That said, I have two SB's that desperately need the front disc upgrade, (more for me than my wife's bike) so please let me/us know when you have something that works and your price. Thinking it will be a good upgrade for our fun and safety!~
Thanks again,
Steve

Wow OPEtech, that is quite a creation?! When you said it was a low cost way to do it, I was thinking of something
much less than that........will certainly stop on a dime! I hope you used off-the-shelf parts so we can do it too.

Great job............I am impressed!

Thank you. I still have to test it and it might be a few weeks before I get to do that since this is part of a full bike project which is about 95% done. The hydraulic components are for a Harley Sportster. The front brake project cost me about $150.

A Harley Sportster? I would never have guessed that...........I thought it might be from one of those
high performance go-kart suppliers or something..........but Milwaukee Iron is a great choice.........
Now the disc? Did you repurpose that from a hi-po go kart? Or is it still Sportster?

We didn't hear from you yesterday, thought you might be at a Dyngus Day event.......I hear they
are pretty big in Buffalo the day after Easter...............thanks!

To be honest I've never attended any of those activities. Maybe some day. As for the disc it's not meant for the Sportster. Instead I opted for an 8 inch disc, which I purchased from bmi karts which they are clearancing for $10. If I used anything larger, the caliper would be too close to the sidewall of the tire. This setup should meet stopping power specs set by the NYS DMV.

Last edited:
Amen to that stopping power! Will be fun to see how it feels when you slam it at 30mph or so.

I also saw the proximity switch on the front side of the disc...........are you using it for a speedometer?

Probably a great way to do it if you can find the right unit to plug into. Much easier than a worm-gear
cable driven unit.

Yep. That sensor came with the dashboard assembly, which includes a speedometer. I initially wanted to keep the bike more old school, but made an exception when it came to that.

Well, we all make exceptions from time-to-time. I'm actually looking to put an LED bulb into my old school
headlamp. Even go LED on the taillight if I can. My night vision is not as sharp as it used to be, so want it bright.
That would be my exception.

Now, I did not see how you were doing the rear brake............Are you using a converter clutch band, disc, or something else?

Thanks again...........

Changing the bulbs to led is a good idea and just might do the same with this in time. As for the rest brake, I wasn't too fond of the band setup, because if the chain breaks or pops off there would be no rear brake at all. So, I ended up redesigning that as well to a disc setup

Well, you certainly qualify as an over-achiever on this build............to put the disc on the back,
you gotta go opposite of the chain sprocket, right? Looking at my two (about 5 years apart), seems
like there's little room to work.

That said, did you go Sportster caliper on that as well? Seems there is less "open air" compared to the
front to bolt that one on.

I'm sure it's still cool.............

Actually, I'm using the existing rear sprocket as the brake disc. The only component made for a Sportster is the foot pedal. All the other parts are a collection of misc pieces.

Ope tech ,I'm very interested in the rear sprocket-disc brake conversion.My super bronc is missing the original comet set-up.It looks like the new style comet 30 tav 2 won't work with the original band brake and mounting plate,so I'm screwed with no brakes...well,there is the front drum,which seems useless.Can you post any pics of your set up?