Surging idle on Manco Big Cat

I have been messing with it all day. It has the Tecumseh 5HP motor with adjustment screws also. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Also, is it a complex procedure to remove the governor? What are your thoughts on removing it on this motor?

First a common cause,, check for leaky carb/intake gaskets make sure bolts are tight then you can hit them with carb cleaner to see if it revs. If reves there is a leak.

Other possibilities.

throttle/choke shafts warn.
air bleed restricted.
damaged o rings.
fuel pick up restricted
idle port restricted.
damages adjustment needles.
incorrect float height.
fuel inlet plugged.

Have you taken the carb apart and cleaned it? on the bottom of bowl there's a nut, it has two holes on the side the one at the top is really small. clean both with a strand of >copper< speaker wire and blast everything on the carb with cleaner then air and replace parts with rebuild kit if needed.

Thanks for that fast reply! Now let me know if this helps narrow it down...

I noticed that the little butterfly valve right by the choke is the one moving forward and back. It doesn't stay still. Basically it looks like someone is revving the bike then letting it off since the butterfly arm (I think that is what it is... it is literally RIGHT by the choke).

Thanks!

The "butterfly" nearest the engine is your throttle and has a little wound spring on the shaft, sounds like it unwound. you'll see a little leg at the bottom and top of the spring.

Sounds like you need to wind the bottom around one revolution then hook the leg on the carb.

Is it not retracting/ closing when you twist it? (sping loaded?)

get back quick and I'll take a pic for you.

Yeah it doesn't spring back for sure. I am just confused as to where the spring is that I am looking for.

Bwahaha I list all that and it was something simple that wasn't listed. :doah:

OK, here's two styles of spring stop, the clean carb doesn't use an "L" and hooks to the front top (Red) and the dirty carb uses an "L" to hook on the middle top of the carb.(green)

Make sure the top is hooked (yellow) then wind the bottom around once and hook the bottom. you'll need a little screw driver or dental hook and and small needle nose to wrestle with it. :thefinger:

Then make sure it the throttle springs back and stays put every time. :thumbsup:

Sorry about the bad pic, us "old guys" can get shaky.

Last edited:
Alright man sounds good, thanks so much!

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow morning when I start messing with it.

EDIT: I forgot to ask again... what are your thoughts on removing the governor on these motors?

EDIT x2: Where is a good place to buy replacement parts for either the Big Cat or the Thunderbird?

Last edited:
Alright man sounds good, thanks so much!

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow morning when I start messing with it.

EDIT: I forgot to ask again... what are your thoughts on removing the governor on these motors?

EDIT x2: Where is a good place to buy replacement parts for either the Big Cat or the Thunderbird?
I remove them but you have to be careful of over reeving and throwing a rod. You can put a stiffer spring on the gov or wire it so and it will do about the same thing.

Parts are going to be few but you can google Manco and find sites that sell some basic parts.

Are these motors easily blown by over revving? I am tempted to just put the throttle cable on the throttle arm attached to the carb body which would bypass the gov, wouldn't it?

Are these motors easily blown by over revving? I am tempted to just put the throttle cable on the throttle arm attached to the carb body which would bypass the gov, wouldn't it?
Not good, do it like I said either remove it or stiffer spring on the arm. You don't want it hanging there ready to break up in your engine. (good bye engine)

The gov works by spinning inside with weights on a plastic gear, then the arm pulls back on the throttle when the RPM's hits a set limit. Using a stiffer spring or holding the spring with a wire keeps the gov in it's place yet stops it from pulling back. I still like to remove them and keep the arm for the throttle (better on the throttle body and looks stock) but if you do the spring , make sure the engine is off or it will take off on you! The stiffer spring has some give and looks stock. :thumbsup:

All stock engines can blow if you over rev them (usually the cast rod gives)

I don't want to start a new thread so I'll ask here again. First off what spark plug will work in the Tec 5.0HP motor in the Bigcat bike? Secondly, what is some good oil that you guys use for these little motors?

Thanks

Does your engine have points or is it electronic ignition? Plug in your engine numbers at partstree.com and look under engine parts and it should give the factory plug recommendation.

As for oil, I use Amsoil 30wt small engine oil.

Tom.

First, did the spring solve the problem?

The points would be inside the flywheel, EI would be on top of the fly wheel only.

30w oil is best for above freezing and 10w/30 below. I use plain old GTX 30W. and feel it's better to change your oil often then buy $$$ oil and not change it much.

the spark plug is Champion CJ8 and you can also use J8C (taller)

30w oil is best for above freezing and 10w/30 below. I use plain old GTX 30W. and feel it's better to change your oil often then buy $$$ oil and not change it much.
How about $$$ oil and often oil changes for the air cooled, non filtered small engines :thefinger:

My regular vehicles get 1yr/25K mile oil changes :doah: