Tec H50 head gasket

copyman

I thought the head gasket would only go on one way but after looking it can go either way.

Noticed one side of OEM gasket is flat and other side is a little thicker. Does it matter what side is up or down?
Looked in manuals, online and couldn't find anything so assuming it doesn't matter but figured better to ask here.

Thanks

mustangfrank

I thought the head gasket would only go on one way but after looking it can go either way.

Noticed one side of OEM gasket is flat and other side is a little thicker. Does it matter what side is up or down?
Looked in manuals, online and couldn't find anything so assuming it doesn't matter but figured better to ask here.

Thanks
Only ran across it on the "H" series being symmetrical bolt holes. Shouldn't be any thickness difference though, just the edges on one side are slightly rounded from stamping.

delray

yep, just a stamping process. i do have a tendency to have the flat side down and always put couple light coats of copper coat spray on the gasket first before installing them. have not seen one fail on me yet. my last hs-motor spun over 7000 rpm's multiple times before disassembly to see how things where holding up and from the looks the gasket and copper sealer/spray did well. doesn't hurt to double check and re-torque the bolts after engine break in.

sealed head.jpg
gasket.jpg
can.jpg

Last edited: