Tecumseh 6HP OHV Engine For Sale

One new in the box Tecumseh 6HP OHV engine. Still has all the hang tags, owners manual, etc, attached to it. Has tapered 3/4" output shaft for generator. Output is long enough for centrifugal clutch mounted inboard.

Engine is located near Portland, Or. Buyer is responsible for shipping arrangements.

$150

Contact me here or you may leave a voice message at: 503-502-1943

Thanks
~JM~

:facepalm:Gotta have a uniform thickness with a keyway to hang a clutch on. Sorry man but that just dont sound right, never seen a tapered clutch on a modern engine. Snowmobiles have em I suppose.

Looks like I was mistaken. The taper is rather blunt, leaving plenty of length for a clutch. I failed to notice the lack of a key-way though. Looks like this engine will NOT work for a centrifugal clutch. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

~JM~

It could be made to but would be cost prohibitive unless the engine could be bought for a very low price. Still would be great if someone needed a gen. engine.:thumbsup:

I have actually ran those cranks and been fine.. :shrug: Of coarse, we are talking Briggs 3.5 with a fully 5/8 crank.. I don't know how much HEAVY TORQUING you could do with it... But all I did was get my clutch just how I wanted it on the crank, then drilled two small divots in the crank for the set screws to dig in to.. Then tightened the clutch on from the end with a brass nut because the crank had external threads on it...

But a nut on the outside pinching the clutch to the crank tight as hell, and a couple set screws, and that thing wasn't going ANYWHERE!!!

Besides, one of those half moon key ways is easy to cut out with a dremell or something.. A goober key and a bolt in the end of the crank tight as a bitch will go a long way.. :shrug:

I dont need the engine but I had a question that might be helpful to a buyer. I actually just picked up a motor a couple hours ago but I must have looked at 500 before I bought. I noticed alot of warehouse and surplus places selling the tappered shafts cheap. Alot of the newer ones I seen was like you describe this one. It was tappered but there was enough room to put a clutch on the shaft before the tapper started running out to the end of the shaft. When I seen some of the shafts close up, I was wondering if a hole couldn't be drilled through the set screw hole on the clutch, through the shaft, and out the other side of the clutch. Put one of those heavy duty screws and nut and it shouldn't slip any. Then maybe do the screw in the end of the shaft for extra support. It was just a thought I had since I seen so many of these great engines so cheap with the only down fall of the shaft.

I even thought if someone made tappered clutches designed to fit, they would be rich. So many of the generator and pump motors could be used for our karts. And these motors are usually great prices.

I also bought a tecumseh engine with the tapered shaft and i cut the shaft to lenght and put oil&gas in it bolted it down on my engine stand. Then with it running at idle i used a flat file,and oil and ground the shaft to 3/4 in.I took my time and used a 0-1in. micrometer.As i got near to the desired size i let it cool overnite to get accurate dimensions then quiet. I still need to drill the two set screw holes. But it worked for me.Best i remember it took 2-3 hours to get it down.