Tecumseh AH520 Two-Stroke Engine, Projects? Ideas?

DaddyJohn

I recently came into possession of a broken Toro S200 snow blower as a freebie in part of a deal.
I shot a little ether and spray lubricant in the carb mouth to see if the engine was good, and it fired and ran for a moment!
That prompted me to extract the engine so I could discard the rest of the machine (whenever the scrap yard opens back up!).
In the process, I removed the exhaust pipe, and could see it looked to be great shape inside.

Now, I've done a little research, and these are 2.25hp or so, and it's debatable whether or not they have enough torque to move a mini bike sufficiently (most seem to say no). Not as well as an H35 or some other modest power source anyway... That being the case, is there any kind of project or purpose this little engine could be applied to? Seems too cool to just discard, and I love the way it sounds!

Anyone have any pics of projects that utilize these in any fashion? Not finding a lot online, and would love to see someone doing something with these.

I'm imagining motorized bicycle, converting a scooter to a go-ped, model airplanes, 2-stroke-powered daiquiri blenders? Lol...:D

Last edited:
I would think that at least you could hook up an old auto generator or alternator to it to charge batteries, run work lights,electric hand tools and the like.
i may have the same engine hanging on the wall of my garage.

DaddyJohn

I would think that at least you could hook up an old auto generator or alternator to it to charge batteries, run work lights,electric hand tools and the like.
i may have the same engine hanging on the wall of my garage.
Could be a cool idea, though maybe not for me personally. I happen across cheap generators too often, lol...

You sound like me though; hanging it on the garage wall...
I hate throwing anything away that's "good" for something. Just need to figure out what that is, lol...:D

I saw a post here, years ago ,where a fellow member used a step up adapter fro the shaft and High RPM springs for the clutch.
I did a search here and could not find that post.
I originally was going to put the engine on a bicycle using a tension lever for the clutch and a thumb throttle. Never have gotten around to it though.