Tecumseh H50 PTO bushing

I acquired an older H50 motor that was in pretty good shape and virtually intact other then a bushing on the PTO side. I have ordered the bushing and received it today. I have no clue as how it is suppose to be installed, which end is which and if it has to be pressed on. I ordered a repair manual but it is slow in coming. Wondering if any one has any experience with this type of bushing.

Attachments

mustangfrank

I acquired an older H50 motor that was in pretty good shape and virtually intact other then a bushing on the PTO side. I have ordered the bushing and received it today. I have no clue as how it is suppose to be installed, which end is which and if it has to be pressed on. I ordered a repair manual but it is slow in coming. Wondering if any one has any experience with this type of bushing.
That bushing is for the other style PTO side cover, you have a ball bearing PTO...the seal goes in that recess. Look in Tecumseh section for a link to a digital download link for the factory Tecumseh Service manual (L-head).

That bushing is for the other style PTO side cover, you have a ball bearing PTO...the seal goes in that recess. Look in Tecumseh section for a link to a digital download link for the factory Tecumseh Service manual (L-head).
Thank you for straightening that out for me. I can just install the oil seal now. I was going off of the parts breakdown for my model # and it showed the bushing, so I figured it was missing.

mustangfrank

Thank you for straightening that out for me. I can just install the oil seal now. I was going off of the parts breakdown for my model # and it showed the bushing, so I figured it was missing.
They show both styles even though the model number specs it out one way or the other, especially on the older engines. I've looked up a few engines listed for sale I couldn't see the PTO cover and found that out, gotta know the different crank P/Ns.

copyman

Think you also need a thrust washer with the bearing. The H50's I've rebuilt all had this washer.

The bearing is held in with 2 screw studs. As shown in the L head manual the flat sides of screws are important to get cover off.

Only removed the bearing by lightly tapping all sides and a lot of blaster to loosen. Never put one on but think it will tap on with hammer.

Think you also need a thrust washer with the bearing. The H50's I've rebuilt all had this washer.

The bearing is held in with 2 screw studs. As shown in the L head manual the flat sides of screws are important to get cover off.

Only removed the bearing by lightly tapping all sides and a lot of blaster to loosen. Never put one on but think it will tap on with hammer.
I appreciate your input. I wasn't aware that there is a thrust washer, makes sense. It does not show on the parts breakdown but I will research it more. Need a part # to start. I have an old Tecumseh repair manual on order and am hoping that it will give me some details.

I think all along I have had the wrong model #. It has a deep scratch on the tag so it was difficult to read. After doing some research and trial and error I have the correct one now. You are right, this model does not have the bushing it has a bearing. I have ordered the new oil seal also. The thrust washer you are talking about goes behind the bearing. Is that correct ? If so I don't need that part because it is already there as I never removed the bearing.

Attachments

mustangfrank

I appreciate your input. I wasn't aware that there is a thrust washer, makes sense. It does not show on the parts breakdown but I will research it more. Need a part # to start. I have an old Tecumseh repair manual on order and am hoping that it will give me some details.

I think all along I have had the wrong model #. It has a deep scratch on the tag so it was difficult to read. After doing some research and trial and error I have the correct one now. You are right, this model does not have the bushing it has a bearing. I have ordered the new oil seal also. The thrust washer you are talking about goes behind the bearing. Is that correct ? If so I don't need that part because it is already there as I never removed the bearing.
There is no thrust washer, secure the side cover to the bearing with the two half turn retainer bolts and install the seal.

copyman

Yes thrust washer goes on crank first than the bearing so if you never removed the PTO bearing than the thrust washer will still be there. I've only rebuilt 3 old H50's and all had the thrust washer. Not sure if all have it but would think so if engine has PTO bearing.

Last edited: