Tecumseh HS40 Crankshaft Grooving

LLKR

I have an HS40 that needs rings. I can feel grooving on the fly-wheel end of the crankshaft. Likewise, I can feel grooving in the block where the crankshaft exits to the flywheel (there is no bearing). The grooving isn't terrible, but it is definitely noticeable by sight and by touch. If the grooving will cause too much play and lead to problems later on I most likely will not rebuild the engine. Anybody been down this road before? I suspect the grooving is not a fatal flaw but I am unsure.
Thanks,
LLKR

It just kinda depends.. If it's not horrible it probably just came from shearing the flywheel key..I'd say if it doesn't wobble on the shaft like it's the wrong one.. It will probably be fine... You can lock the crank shaft up and spin the flywheel on the shaft and lap them together.. Some people say they have used valve lapping compound on them and actually lapped the flywheel to the crank and not even used a flywheel key... :shrug: But I'd say as long as you get the flywheel on good and tight it will probably be OK..

125ccCrazy

If it has a bushing in the block the bushings are replaceable, call your local mower shop, give them the model number and they should be able to hook you up with the bushing, rings, gaskets ect... There are some bushings on ebay but you'll need the part number for your engine..