Tecumseh HS50 Flywheel - please

I believe all of the crank shafts are the same out front as long as it's HS... Uhhh I can go measure for sure. Yes it's the points flywheel. That Minibikedude seams to be well studied up on the Tecumseh motors, maybe he will write in and confirm. (all HS50 cranks same taper?) Otherwise I will be back out there eventually digging for parts and I will see it and remember to measure the crank for ya. About %98 sure they are all the same though. They change from design to design but as long as it's the same model you are usually good to go. :thumbsup:
I know for a fact they are NOT all the same. This is why I need to be sure and had asked on numerous occasions.

Thanks again.
Matt

Ohhhhhhh yeahh Now I gotcha. I wasn't even thinking about the thread on or thread IN types... Yes this is the bigger flywheel.. I am guessing your motor has the bolt that threads INTO the crankshaft to hold the flywheel on? That is what this one is... The outer is about .745 .750, whatever it is.. The bigger one. :thumbsup: I got you a pic with broken fins lit up. None are completely gone but a couple 1/2 missing or better.. Won't cause overheating or out of balance problems though.
[/IMG]

To "The Restore Kid" I've got Krazybones motor at my house. Looking at the pic you posted of the fin side, we see the smallest diameter of the tapered hole. Is that small diameter 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch. Thanks.

Ohhhhhhh yeahh Now I gotcha. I wasn't even thinking about the thread on or thread IN types... Yes this is the bigger flywheel.. I am guessing your motor has the bolt that threads INTO the crankshaft to hold the flywheel on? That is what this one is... The outer is about .745 .750, whatever it is.. The bigger one. :thumbsup: I got you a pic with broken fins lit up. None are completely gone but a couple 1/2 missing or better.. Won't cause overheating or out of balance problems though.
[/IMG]
Thanks for the Pic, what does the Taper go down to? - Sorry to be a pain, but all I have found have the smaller Taper (Please note the difference is not that different)

As Jim stated above can you check the diameter of that hole?

(Jiim Thank you as well - you have been so helpful - I thank you again for like the 100th time - LOL)

Thanks

Hey man it's not a pain at all..... Ask all the questions in the world, last thing ya need is overpriced junk in the mail that won't work. HAHA!!! Are you serious? How many damn sizes are there to these pricks? :doah: lol... THIS one AND the other I have are both about 1/2 inch at the inside of the hole. Like .500 or maybe just a hahahaha hair over.. That's weird because I had 2 motors sitting there, both are points, one is bigger at the inner end of the crank (this one) with a bolt goes INTO the crank and is bigger at the outer taper, but BOTH have like 1/2 inch at the small end... Good lord what a nightmare. :doah: Maybe find someone that can weld cast and weld one on. HAHA!! Damn Tejunksy anyways.... Why'd They Have Ta Go And Make Things So Complicated? :stuart: Yeah hell ask away man, I'm startng to doubt MY SELF now. :doah: lol Maybe I should just send a flywheel AND A CRANK!! lol I have like 4, NEVER BLOWN UP if you can believe that. :stuart:

krazybones as for you asking a lot of questions , i dont see that as someone being a pain i see that as someone who is trying to make sure they get the wright part . i have had people ask questions on parts and when it came down to it there was 2 parts that were close but one only one would fit . asking questions got them the part that worked . i think the saying goes the only stupid questions are the ones not asked .

i have been trying to see if there is one around here i can get but sorry man the snow in the local pick a part is over 5 feet deep :frown::sadcrying4::frown: .if you cant find one by spring i will see if there is one out there .

well... I am now looking at 3 of them and all 3 are 1/2 inch at the small end. :sadcrying4: lol What gives with that? :doah: Friggin stupid Tejunksy.. WELL There is one more FOR sure out there I could try, BUT It's complete and nice as hell on a snow blower I bought yesterday and now we are back to the taking apart motors... Not sure if that one is right either but I know it works sweet one this motor. :thumbsup: Maybe you should just buy this motor. lol.. I could get you a 3/4 inch crank and flywheel in all good working order for about the same like 20 bucks though. I don't think any are drilled and tapped but are 3/4 by 2 1/4 or whatever it is. Hell Tejunksy they might be nine different lengths too. They are all clutch worthy minus drill/tapped.

krazybones as for you asking a lot of questions , i dont see that as someone being a pain i see that as someone who is trying to make sure they get the wright part . i have had people ask questions on parts and when it came down to it there was 2 parts that were close but one only one would fit . asking questions got them the part that worked . i think the saying goes the only stupid questions are the ones not asked .

i have been trying to see if there is one around here i can get but sorry man the snow in the local pick a part is over 5 feet deep :frown::sadcrying4::frown: .if you cant find one by spring i will see if there is one out there .
Yeah you have it rough. We had like a foot of snow for a while, till about a week ago when it started melting. THEN it RAINED for two damn days.. NOW it's back to snowing sideways and colder than hell. We have like a foot of MUDD burried under a 1/4 inch crispy coating of ice and friggin sideways snow. Damn MI.. :doah: freezin my bag off trying to find the most elusive of all parts. :doah: Sorry man, all mine are 1/2 inch end and comes with a crank kit.... Sigh.... had your hopes all up just to get screwed yet again. :doah: Good thing ya asked about all dimensions huh? I told the other guy he should send measurements incase too but he never did. Now I gotta insist upon it before mailing. Might be a 16.35 refund coming. :doah: Tenjunksy strikes again. :stuart:

Thanks Metal Man.

I know but some people get pissed when they get asked for detailed answers, pics or measurements. (Not saying Restore Kid was). I was just treading lightly trying to get the correct info on the item. I have been burned before (not intentionally), as we all have. It paid off here as I would have bought a part that would not have worked.

Thanks everyone, the Hunt continues - Crazy!:gunsmilie:

krazybones, Do you have a picture of your engine. I think you posted it somewhere on here before but i can't find it right know. Are you sure it a HS50 and not a 3.5HP Tecumseh engine, I will have to pull one of my flywheels off my older HS50 engine that has a cast iron flywheel and measure the tapper, I did not think there was that many different flywheels. I thought there was about 4-6 styles for the HS50-HS40 engines with points,and they would fit any HS 40-50 engine. I know of two in cast iron and two in aluminum and the also have the electric start ones with the teeth on them.

krazybones, Do you have a picture of your engine. I think you posted it somewhere on here before but i can't find it right know. Are you sure it a HS50 and not a 3.5HP Tecumseh engine, I will have to pull one of my flywheels off my older HS50 engine that has a cast iron flywheel and measure the tapper, I did not think there was that many different flywheels. I thought there was about 4-6 styles for the HS50-HS40 engines with points,and they would fit any HS 40-50 engine. I know of two in cast iron and two in aluminum and the also have the electric start ones with the teeth on them.
I had another ID thread for this "Mystery Tec" It was confirmed it is in fact an HS50 (So I was told based on that other thread).
Here are the Pics I have, but as Jim said above he has my Engine at tis time as he was generous enough to try and help.

Notice the very Large Intake Port. I have a Tec 3.5 at home and is totally different.

I just took the head off of Krazybones motor to confirm it is an HS50. Bore is 2.812", stroke is 1 15/16". Height is 11", same as several other HS40 & HS50s I have. You can see in Krazybones pics it has the original white paint and the newer style minibike throttle assembly. It is a points motor with a 3/4" outputshaft that is drilled and tapped. The BIG PUZZLE---the flywheel mounting taper is larger than I and apparently everyone else has seen on a HS50. It is approx. .625 at the small end instead of .500 that is on all the HS50that all of us have seen. Although I say the taper is larger, it actually is a different angle. All HS50 tapers seem to be the same large diameter[.750] and the same length so with different small diameters, the angle changes and a "regular" HS50 flywheel will not seat as opposed to seating and just being in the wrong position.Hence the dilemma. I'm sure someone knows the answer and what we're looking for. If all else fails, we'll remachine a "small taper" flywheel. I do have a H35 non points motor that has the "larger" taper, so I know what Minibikedude is alluding to. Ahhhh, if only Krazybones had the blower housing or tag from this motor. But then it would be simple and I'd have to look for another challenge.

Have you PUT another flywheel on to confirm the angle is different? What if the angle is the same.. BUT for whatever reason it is notched of smooth to 1/2 deeper down the crank from the face? Ya know what I mean? Not so much the taper is different, but not tapered as far down the crank... Like if the taper was longer, it would eventually go down to 1/2.... Or have you actually compared and measured and eye balled and know for a fact the angle is different?

useng1 /krazybones i have a real stupid question are your sure that is the wright crank????? useng1 you said that a 3.5 fly wheel fits the crank could it be that some one built a monster out of parts ???could it be a 5 hp block and a 3.5 crank? krazybones where did you get this motor , was it missing parts when you got it ?has any one seen it run ?

Thats what i was thinking, I have about 10 motors HS40-50 with points and the flywheels inter change between them, I was wonder if it had the right crank in it, You never know what someone else was trying out with it.
The only other thing I could think of is get the crank and flywheel from Restore kid and drop them into you engine. If he sell you both items.

The only stupid questions are the ones that aren't asked. Otherwise with each question and answer, someone gains knowledge. The stroke on Krazybones is 1 15/16, which is correct for a HS50. I measured it with a depth mic. The H35 srtoke is 1 27/32.

useng1 /krazybones i have a real stupid question are your sure that is the wright crank????? useng1 you said that a 3.5 fly wheel fits the crank could it be that some one built a monster out of parts ???could it be a 5 hp block and a 3.5 crank? krazybones where did you get this motor , was it missing parts when you got it ?has any one seen it run ?
Honestly no I am not sure what Crank is in there. This engine came as a package deal with my 1971 Arctic Cat Climber. Guy told me it was the Original Motor but who knows for sure. To answer if it was missing the parts when I got it YES! No Flwheel or Blower cover, just what I have in the pics above!

Thats what i was thinking, I have about 10 motors HS40-50 with points and the flywheels inter change between them, I was wonder if it had the right crank in it, You never know what someone else was trying out with it.
The only other thing I could think of is get the crank and flywheel from Restore kid and drop them into you engine. If he sell you both items.
I am on a mission now, why stop there when this is just getting fun! :wink:

Yes I would sell them both. 20 bucks to the door in 3 days I'd say if they'll both wadd in a box.. turns out that OTHER guy needs the flywheel I was thinking would work on your motor. I still haven't heard if he wants that or not BUT I have a REAL NICE flywheel that would be about perfect for ya if you had a crank to match it. I don't know what this other guy wants to do but I might have a REALLY NICE 50 flywheel and crank combo.. Then it SHOULD be problem solved.. but then again god only knows when you're scabbing together Tejunksys.. :doah: If the H35 FITS it right, run that light weight racer. :thumbsup: