Tecumseh hs50

I am looking for a Tecumseh hs50 for my son's 1971 roper mini bike. I bought a Tecumseh h60 but it is too big for the frame. Let me know if any of you have one. Thanks Jason

Jason,
Are you trying to mount the H60 with the front engine-mounted tank? If so, (suspected) it is a no go UNLESS... you modify (cut down) the tank mounting bracket to lower the tank height so it does not hit on the frame. Some Sears Ropers (The top of the line models) actually came from the factory with a Tec H50 which is the same size block your H60 HOWEVER... they used a remote tank mounted on top of the frame in front of the seat. (The only difference between a H50 and a H60 is the rod and the crank) My son had a "souped up" 1970 Sears Roper with a H50 which we restroked to an H60 and had a performance cam and heavier valve springs. That bike was WAY to fast for a Sears Roper which are already kind of squirrely as far as handling goes. If that H60 you have is a nice engine you might want to think about just modifying the tank bracket.
Michael

Last edited:
The h60 will fit into the frame but for the chain to line up it sticks too far out of the right side. This roper has the top tank and 2 speed jack-shaft setup. The h60 isn't even close to being centered in the frame. We are trying to find out what it would have come with from the factory. We would also like it to be period correct if possible.

Last edited:
Clicking on the attachment brings up nothing , only "invalid"? Try (again) posting some good photos of your bike, including the engine. We had no trouble at all with the lining up the chain with the H50 and my son's bike had the 2-speed set up as well. The engine was favoring the right side somewhat, but is was not extreme and was still very rideable.
Michael

We already know what a Sears Roper looks like (FYI: Your model Roper was the top of the line with that tank and 2-speed setup). What we need to help you are some good photos of the engine bolted in showing how it sits in the frame, chain alignment issues, etc.
Michael