Tecumseh Kill Switch

Trying to hook up a kill switch to my 5hp engine off a snowblower. I attached the new wire (red in picture) to where the old one came from. (White end of wire in other picture)

Im spinning the engine with a drill but get spark reguardless if the new wire is grounded or not.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks,
Dan

The switch wasnt on yet. I put the flywheel on and spun the motor with a drill. I was watching the spark and touched the open end of the wire to metal and even touched it and felt nothing. The spark just kept going.

What i did was loosen the nut, put the bare wire behind the washer, and tighten it back down. Basically i put it exactly where the old wire came from.

Last edited:
This may be a dumb Question. You said you touch the wire to metal was that metal the engine block. If the engine is in the bike or on a bench that one way to check it to make sure it has a good ground, also is there is paint on the engine block scratch if off in a small area so theres clean bare metal to put the wire to. It should be grounded out when you do that and there should be no spark.