Tecumseh side cover an c-clip Question Help

markus

something is binding,

make sure the engine is at TDC with the valves fully relaxed and no pressure on the cam

Make sure the journal snout of the crankshaft (the part that is exposed just past where the seal sat is clean and no crusty/rusty so it can pass through the cover.

Things that can cause excessive sticking internally can be something like the journals or bushing surfaces on the sidecover (both the crank and the cam) being scarred up from something passing through it at one time or another, just gotta try and work through it to get the sidecover off.

A really screwed up governor gear could cause and issue to, usually the crank is the culprit though.

something is binding,

make sure the engine is at TDC with the valves fully relaxed and no pressure on the cam

Make sure the journal snout of the crankshaft (the part that is exposed just past where the seal sat is clean and no crusty/rusty so it can pass through the cover.

Things that can cause excessive sticking internally can be something like the journals or bushing surfaces on the sidecover (both the crank and the cam) being scarred up from something passing through it at one time or another, just gotta try and work through it to get the sidecover off.

A really screwed up governor gear could cause and issue to, usually the crank is the culprit though.

Thanks! I will keep working at it. So if there is no clip on the shaft, it is safe to assume there is no type of clip elsewhere that could be holding it. Correct?

markus

no other clips. As long as you have all the perimeter bolts out of the sidecover, there is nothing else that needs to be removed to get the cover off.

I got cover off. Just had to beat it harder. Didn't want to try until confirmed. I'm editing post because I did notice scoring around shaft and inner hole of the cover. Can that be wet sanded a little to help smooth both out?

Last edited:

markus

Yes and no, to get it all out it will probably take it way out of spec, all you can do it try it and measure and go from there.